Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I need an instrument cluster. My truck is low miles but because it sat unprotected all its years the needles are dropping like flies. First to go was the gear selector indicator when I was trying to find my dog back in May after a thunderstorm. And then on my first test run with new vortecs, cruising along the freeway and I looked down just to see the speedometer needle drop off. Today I found one on ebay that is like mine but it would be an upgrade because it has a working clock, tripometer, temp gauge has fahrenheit instead C and H with dashes in between, but the guy was a dick and wouldn't work with me. That one has lower miles on it too so I could run them up to my current mileage. Too bad he wants to be a dick about it.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I think Retro might have some spare needles you can just stick on, I might even have some laying around. I definitely have a shift needle if you need it.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
You guys on here rock! I can definitely use the shift needle, how much do you want for it? If you have a speedometer needle I can take that too. I just updated my paypal stuff a couple hours ago.

I was considering fabricating some needles to replace the broken speedometer needle, and to fortify the others, but wouldn't know where to look for the material to make them with. That and I would be worried the tiny bit of extra weight may affect the accuracy. I know the others are going to break before too long.

That cluster I mentioned was $85! Dang that guy pisses me off! :boxing:

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I can get entire clusters for $15 each. Not sure if I have any needles anymore, I might have let them go or tossed them. There's usually one or two with trip odo and maybe even a clock.

Even found another tach cluster not long ago (my fourth in 2 years) but the housing was broke. Got the tach and gas gauge for $7. A member here is putting them in his truck though.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
If you can get an entire cluster for $15 that would be way cool. I am sure you know which style I am talking about, the cluster of 4 little ones are volt, oil, clock, temp, and the cluster of 2 big ones are speedometer, fuel. But if it is an upgrade like the one I mentioned with the tripometer, etc., I could go that route too if need be.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Cable without OD. When I take a pic of the cluster tonight, I will post it tomorrow morning on this thread too. That is a clean looking cluster though.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
This is the style cluster I have. It would be nice to have a tach, but not necessary at this point. I am just looking for a replacement that is like this or just a little better, and preferably with lower miles so I can run them up to my current miles shown on the odometer. That is just preference, not hard nose demands.

Attachments

• 1981 Silverado Camper Special Instrument Cluster.jpg
    1981 Silverado Camper Special Instrument Cluster.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 115

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
You guys on here rock! I can definitely use the shift needle, how much do you want for it? If you have a speedometer needle I can take that too. I just updated my paypal stuff a couple hours ago.

I was considering fabricating some needles to replace the broken speedometer needle, and to fortify the others, but wouldn't know where to look for the material to make them with. That and I would be worried the tiny bit of extra weight may affect the accuracy. I know the others are going to break before too long.

That cluster I mentioned was $85! Dang that guy pisses me off! :boxing:

I won't charge you for shift needle. I am assuming they are all the same whether 3 or 4 speed. PM your address and it will be yours.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I got the needle ready complete with the return spring and cable. Do you still have the clip on the column for the cable to hook to?

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
I can get entire clusters for $15 each. Not sure if I have any needles anymore, I might have let them go or tossed them. There's usually one or two with trip odo and maybe even a clock.

Even found another tach cluster not long ago (my fourth in 2 years) but the housing was broke. Got the tach and gas gauge for $7. A member here is putting them in his truck though.

Like THEEEEEEES one?

You must be registered for see images attach

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I got the needle ready complete with the return spring and cable. Do you still have the clip on the column for the cable to hook to?

As far as I know it is still there. I was driving slowly when the needle decided to fall off. I saw it teetering, and then it was gone. Up until that point everything was moving with the gear changes.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Yes sir, like that one.

I have to get my tach touched up on the numbers, But im not even sure what its worth, its a 74 cluster, it has amps instead of volts, but the circutry is the same, you just have to change the pinout on your plug.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Good old flea bay

Well I couldn't pass it up. It came from an 81 Silverado, mine is an 81 Silverado so it should be a direct replacement; I wanted a tach, this one has a tach but no harness for it; I lose the clock but mine didn't work anyhow. When I pulled the distributor last month, the tach wire was plugged in, so my truck may have the tach harness already. I will need to locate the wire diagrams for my truck to see what's what.

When I logged on to Ebay this morning there were 13 people watching this item, and I became the 14th. I came back from lunch and bought it out from under them. This one shows 41,789 on odometer, so I can easily run up the miles to match what mine has. I just need to clean up the plastic cover on mine or get a new one. Will try cleaning it up first with some of that headlight restore stuff. If it doesn't work, I can buy a new one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281203967488?item=281203967488&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

I thank you all for helping out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btrain04