Need Shocks...and maybe new kidneys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old60Driver

1983 K20 Silverado
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
So, I've got my '83 K20 up at running, and am temporarily running it as my DD (I left my true DD in KS, I'll pick up someday ;) ).

First , I love driving this thing!! Definitely a trip down memory lane when I get behind the wheel!

That being said, as I drive her more and more, and get some of the cobwebs blown out of her, I have to say, she needs shocks. Now, I'm not sure if these are the originals are not, but holy hell, if I hit a set of railroad tracks at just the right angle, she'll just about bounce you right off the sofa, er, I mean bench seat, and then, before you know it, I'm 30° off center looking at a bar ditch, fighting for control! Okay, maybe not THAT bad, but not far from it! lol

Anyway, I know the shocks need replacing (and probably the bushings as well (they're on my list)), and I know that loading up the bed with some weight will help with the ride. But if I'm wanting to keep her as stock as possible (looks, height, etc...), what would y'all recommend as far as shocks go? I've been searching the interwebs, and Jesus, now I have TOO much information! I'm at the 'paralysis by analysis' stage...LOL

As she's not going to be a daily driver AND I'm not planning on a ton of four-wheelin', I'm just looking for a bit of a smoother ride. Nothing caddy-like, that's unrealistic I know, but something less, I don't know, teeth rattling? Hell, maybe I'm just spoiled by my late model vehicles.

And I don't mind spending a bit more for a good ride either, especially since she's going to be a weekend camping, beach and occasional car show type of truck, but I want my wife to enjoy riding shotgun with me. Actually, she grew up driving this truck, and is excited as I am that I got her running again. So I want her happy. :)

Yeah, I know she's a K20 with leafs on all corners and all that, but I thought I'd get y'alls take just the same.

Anyway, thanks folks, and good morning!!

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Try lowering the tire pressure. These things ride like a buckboard, and I can't say shocks really make much difference.

Old60Driver

1983 K20 Silverado
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size

Old60Driver

1983 K20 Silverado
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
Try lowering the tire pressure. These things ride like a buckboard, and I can't say shocks really make much difference.

10-4, I'll do that. When I got the tires installed, they had 70 pounds in them. Might have actually chipped a tooth on the way home. lol Brought them down to 40, but I'm thinking I can go lower, right? How low can I go without damaging the tire, and/or reducing the life of the tire? I'm not going to be towing/hauling so I'm not really concerned with that.

Thanks!

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
10-4, I'll do that. When I got the tires installed, they had 70 pounds in them. Might have actually chipped a tooth on the way home. lol Brought them down to 40, but I'm thinking I can go lower, right? How low can I go without damaging the tire, and/or reducing the life of the tire? I'm not going to be towing/hauling so I'm not really concerned with that.

Thanks!

When we first got the truck the dealer had all the tires at 85 PSI. It was painful. Dropping them down made a huge difference. If you look at the recommendations I believe they call for 44 front, and 55 rear unless loaded, then 85 rear.

I run mine around 45 all around to try to keep it contained, unless the truck is loaded. You're right, you don't want to go lower, even with E rated tires. Just be prepared that these heavier chassis do not ride well unless you have 2000 lbs in them.

Old60Driver

1983 K20 Silverado
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
When we first got the truck the dealer had all the tires at 85 PSI. It was painful. Dropping them down made a huge difference. If you look at the recommendations I believe they call for 44 front, and 55 rear unless loaded, then 85 rear.

I run mine around 45 all around to try to keep it contained, unless the truck is loaded. You're right, you don't want to go lower, even with E rated tires. Just be prepared that these heavier chassis do not ride well unless you have 2000 lbs in them.

Roger dodger, thanks!

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
I don't run them on my square, because it's lowered, but on my F150 I use Bilstien 5100. The 4600 are very similar and smoothed out the ride and kept it from 'bouncing' over washboard type roads.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
I'll look into those. Smooth(er) ride?

Thanks!

Yes it's smoother as with nitrogen shocks that I had before. Tire pressure is also a big thing I run 40-45 psi. Adding 500pounds to the bed would make a smoother ride, I know that from my c20 camper special.

73cheyenne

Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have a '73 K20. The ride was very stiff. After many years I got tired of it and took some of the leaves out of the rear springs. I installed Firestone air bags to replace the lost weight capacity. Rides much better and I can still haul just as much weight by adjusting the air pressure. I installed an electric air compressor so I can add air without stopping.

I recently switched to radial tires which helped the ride too.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scandia