Need Pics of Engine Cross Member

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
1990 R2500 Suburban

The previous owner converted the truck from 2wd to 4wd. To connect the two motor mount plates, he fab'd up a cross member which I don't care much for. I would really like to have this ORD cross member: http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/enginecrossmember.htm But I have recently discovered that the motor mount plates differ between the 2wd frames and the 4wd frames, and this cross member only works with the 4wd version. Therefore, I'd like to fab up my own cross member, in lieu of pulling the motor just to swap motor mount plates.

SO, after all that, I am looking for some good pictures of the original engine cross member and motor mount plates. I will likely try to mimic the shape of the original cross member, but make it shallower to allow enough clearance for the front axle.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
4wd version:
You must be registered for see images attach

from above, but engine in place

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
Thanks for those pics. The 4wd mounting plates look a little stronger than the 2wd mounting plates. I'd like to be able to swap in the whole 4wd version mount set-up and use the ORD cross member. Is this feasible without yanking the motor out? I can support it with my hoist, but i'd just prefer not to take the whole thing out. Is there enough room to get old mounting plates out and new ones in?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I have removed the mounting plates to do an oil pan seal on a 2wd truck before. Used an engine hoist on top to support the engine during the work. Just remove the distributor cap first.

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
That sounds like the ticket. I already have the transmission out for a reseal. Going to be doing an oil pan seal and rear main seal replacement also. I think I'll try to find a set of the 4wd mounting plates. Does anyone happen to have a set laying around and want to save me a trip to the junk yard?

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
Well I went ahead and bit the bullet. I found a set of 4wd motor mount frame brackets on ebay and bought them. Also pulled the trigger on the ORD crossmember and HD motor mount kit. Definitely some coin, but I think there is going to be a drastic improvement in strength and support. I know I will get some additional vibration, but it is a worthwhile trade-off for me.

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
4wd version:

from above, but engine in place

I have a big favor to ask...Do you think you could measure the height of the inside of your frame rail where the motor mount frame brackets are??? I tried to install a set of factory 4wd frame brackets, and they don't fit inside the frame rail. After talking to ORD, I am starting to think that the 2wd and 4wd frames are not the same dimensions at the engine mounting location (possibly due to the 2wd independent front suspension components). Before I go cutting up and modifying my newly acquired factory frame brackets , I was hoping I could verify if there are differences in the frame dimensions.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I have a big favor to ask...Do you think you could measure the height of the inside of your frame rail where the motor mount frame brackets are??? I tried to install a set of factory 4wd frame brackets, and they don't fit inside the frame rail. After talking to ORD, I am starting to think that the 2wd and 4wd frames are not the same dimensions at the engine mounting location (possibly due to the 2wd independent front suspension components). Before I go cutting up and modifying my newly acquired factory frame brackets , I was hoping I could verify if there are differences in the frame dimensions.

I will get those measurements some time tonight if somebody else does not jump in first

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Hope some of these help

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
Thanks! Please accept this digital cheers as an expression of my gratitude :favorites13:

The lighting makes it a little difficult to read the exact measurements, but it looks like the frame height is about 5-5/8" to 5-3/4". My 2wd frame height at this location is about 5-1/4". This confirms my research.

Let it be known to all those doing a 2wd to 4wd conversion, the frame dimensions are not exactly the same between the factory 2wd and factory 4wd trucks...at least on the later style suburbans. Keep in mind that if you are going to do this swap, you will have to either fabricate a beefy crossmember to work with the existing 2wd style motor mount frame brackets, OR modify a set of factory 4wd frame brackets to work with your frame and use a factory style cross member.

I have chosen the latter, but have also decided to upgrade to the ORD cross member. I will post up pics of my modified brackets once I finish them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynhigh88