Need opinions!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Alright 77 c30 cab and chassis truck, bought it how it is. Someone took the fire scissors to her back in the day and hacked it all up, and now I have it and want to fix it right.

Looking at options, I want to run a flip over ball plate, frame mount and a 2 inch rear receiver hitch. I'm going to be be building a flatbed so I can incorporate the 2 inch receiver into the bed instead of frame mounting.

Basically I'm thinking moving the axle forward, but that sucks because that's a lot of new holes and old unused holes in the frame, also will change suspension geometry, which I'm not as worried about. I also can't move it too far forward other wise my flip over ball wouldn't be right. Shock mounting would also be an issue, brake line and parking brake cables. The overload spring perches as well, so I basically just talked myself out of moving the axle lol

The only other thing I've got is to try and graft some c channel or heavy plate, just to box the end of the frame off, I don't really want a bobbed rig.

I'm only missing like 10 inches of frame, but they cut it so damn bad and close to the leaf spring shackles I'm having a hard time deciding what to do.

Otherwise I could do the rear section of the frame, but I think the cut would be too close to the center of the weight distribution. Or I do a smaller section but I can't have any seams behind the spring hangers. So I'm torn

I want to pull whatever I need to with this truck, within its capabilities. But there's always that one time you over do it. Basically I want it to be as strong as it ever was.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
That rust is damn near new here in PA! Other then the ****** torch cutting i think its in good shape...
Same here, it's just rusty from not driving for a long time. Some gravel roads will clear that right up. Bet it's not even pitted!

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've got a 81 3/4 ton 2 wheel dr frame if that will do you any good. I haven't pulled the truck apart yet, but I'm pretty sure the frame is OK. I don't know what part of North Dakota you are in, but I am in Rapid City.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I'd be inclined to knock the rivets out of the the rear spring hangers and lower braces, then install a smaller C channel to fit inside the frame rail that will bolt to the hangers (some welding too). Most of your frame load for the receiver will probably be transferred through the longitudinal supports of the flatbed to the forward part of the frame.

Here's what the rear of the OEM frame looks like on my K30 if it helps.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Sorry bout that reaction. Being in Southern Arizona, I've only ever seen rust in pictures.
It's all good lol! I figured you were from the south:rotflmao:

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I'd be inclined to knock the rivets out of the the rear spring hangers and lower braces, then install a smaller C channel to fit inside the frame rail that will bolt to the hangers (some welding too). Most of your frame load for the receiver will probably be transferred through the longitudinal supports of the flatbed to the forward part of the frame.

Here's what the rear of the OEM frame looks like on my K30 if it helps.

Appreciate the pics! I did actually have the thought of putting c channel on the inside of the frame for the receiver hitch.... yep it's all coming back to me, I had this exact thought process lol. I didn't get as far as spring hangers in my thought process.

Honestly I think this is my best bet, then I can just dress up the trashy cuts on the frame and make it square again and not need them to be AS structural as it should be, but as structural as it can be.

I also want to reiterate that I want this done right, and this sounds like the ticket!

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I've got a 81 3/4 ton 2 wheel dr frame if that will do you any good. I haven't pulled the truck apart yet, but I'm pretty sure the frame is OK. I don't know what part of North Dakota you are in, but I am in Rapid City.
Southwestern ND. So not too far from ya, if it's an ok frame I'd rather not hack it up. Thanks for the offer though!

Last edited:

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Southwestern ND. So not too far from ya, if it's an ok frame I'd rather not hack it up. Thanks for the off though!
No problem. Let me know if you change your mind, it's not going anywhere for a while. I'm a vendor at Sturgis and will be busy with that for the next month.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I heard rumor that Antifa and BLM was planning on crashing Sturgis this year! I'd buy tickets to see that, LOL!
Hells angels are already hunting them, so i would LOVE to see that show lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76