Need input - '95 K2500 Suburban purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
I love my square but its purpose is to tow our boat and be a second vehicle at a vacation home. It tows great but a 3 person vehicle for a 4 person family with a dog doesn't work so great. Also, 2wd in Michigan snow isn't so great either. So I've had in the back of my mind that I need a 3/4 ton 4X4 Suburban.

Roads were bad yesterday so I took some side streets to work and saw a Suburban for sale.

1995 GMC K2500 Suburban, 454, auto, Trailmaster conversion package, aluminum wheels. Posted on the window is a sheet that mentions 4 newer tires, new front brakes. Unknown mileage (I haven't called the seller yet.) Asking $3,995.00 I don't know much else except from walking around it and looking into the windows. It has the aftermarket leather seats and lots of wood interior trim, running boards, roof rails.

I don't know anything about GMT400. What do I need to look out for? What kind of transmission and transfer case? Is the 3/4 ton a lot better than the 1/2 ton on Suburbans? What else do I need to know. It has a little rust at the bottom of the passenger side rear quarter panel. Looks in pretty good shape otherwise. I know price is subjective but the Blue Book value is what they are asking.

Oh and I'm not gonna sell my square. It will come home to live instead of being at the vacation home.

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
Just spoke to the seller, it has 140k miles, seems pretty good for that age truck. Supposedly no leaks, smoke or noises from the engine and transmission.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Heres a good breakdown of the years (http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?766-GMT400-History). 1995 is the oddest year for the GMT400 line and most people stay clear of that year and either go 1994 or older or 1996 and newer. 1996 was also when they introduced the Vortec line of engines.

Bodywise they are pretty good and only the trucks suffer from the rusting corners on the cabs.

Becareful of the Vortecs after 1996 as the spider injectors are known to go bad as well as the headgaskets on the 5.7s.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The front fenders, lower quarters, and the rear bumper do tend to rot out from the backside. TBI 454, dead reliable along with a strong drivetrain. Front suspension usually stays pretty tight if everything gets greased like it's supposed to. Door hinges need lubed often or the bushings wear quickly. Front door handles are a bit fragile if you aren't careful in icy weather. Overall they are nice reliable trucks that drive nice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btrain04