Need help with cold idle settings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
So as the temps have been dropping here in Chicagoland my truck is finding it hard to stay running. On a decent day I come out in the morning, step on the gas pedal once, fire it up and it stays running. High idle is usually around 1k rpm, by ear (I don't have a tach, that will happen when it warms up a bit). Lately though that hasn't been the case. As the temps have been hovering around 0 it's been hard keeping the truck running unless I keep my foot on the gas. It starts ok, then you can hear the rpms drop slowly until it sounds like a thumper cam, then stalls. Now I have to crank and feather the gas to get it to start which kicks down the high idle. It had a tune up this past summer so I don't think that's much of an issue but I do know the engine needs a rebuild. It's got a Holley 650cfm spreadbore on it with an electric choke, performer intake with the heat crossover active and a 1/4" thick gasket under the carb. I'm thinking about raising the idle setscrew so it idles higher but that just seems like a bandaid to me. Should I raise the idle higher? What else can I do to help it?

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I can't recall if you are running a stock air cleaner or not. I am on my truck and ran into a similar problem this winter with my truck after I made some adjustments this past summer. I noticed that the flapper on my air cleaner snorkel was not opening even when warmed up. I pulled and plugged the hose so the flap stayed open. This stopped the chugging when the truck was warming up. It also helped with the re-start if it died during warm up.

It's been 35 years since I ran the Holley Spread bore on a car. Can you adjust the choke housing like a Quadrajet so it delays the pull of?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xXmutantXx