Need Help Wiring Chevy Distributor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lanse

Reaction score
First Name
Lanse
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
So, what I've done (this time haha) is remove the entire powertrain from an 81 chebby have ton and dropped it into a 1948 Farmall H, by means of custom fabri-cobbled frame rails and one of a kind drive shaft.

Since obviously theres no computer with this, I've done the ESC to HEI distributor conversion by mutilating some wires as pictured.

Today I tried to get this thing started and couldn't get any juice to come out of the plugs, so i'm thinking that I must've done something wrong here. Anyone ever rig up a distributor like this here? I sawed off the distributor vacuum module thing when I was removing un-necessary stuff from the engine, now I'm starting to wonder exactly how unnecessary it was.

Anyway, I'd really like to get this thing going so it anyone has any pointers I'd appreciate it. Thanks guys!

You must be registered for see images attach

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
That should have been a one wire connection. The wires with the nuts were for the control module which you needed to get the coil to fire and the vacuum advance was an easy single vacuum hose to the manifold. You just needed a power wire to the bat terminal on the distributer. Time for a different distributer.

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
That should have been a one wire connection. The wires with the nuts were for the control module which you needed to get the coil to fire and the vacuum advance was an easy single vacuum hose to the manifold. You just needed a power wire to the bat terminal on the distributer. Time for a different distributer.

Those are the correct connections to kill the ESC. Will it run like that. It should. You can modify the mechanical advance with weights and springs to make up for the lack of vacuum advance.

If you have module issues I'd recommend getting a new AC Delco Professional 4 terminal HEI module and a new 4 terminal module to coil harness to replace the 7 terminal ESC HEI module.

Some interesting reading. No you don't need a vacuum can. You will have to re-curve your advance a bit. After dumping the smallblock in a tractor that's small change.
superchevy.com 10 Common HEI Myths

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Wow, i really blew it on this one! Sorry for the miss information. I had to go back for a closer look and see that the pic with the wire nuts is in fact the esc wires. I thought they were the wires for the ignition module.
Sorry for not looking closer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1