Need Advice on Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Me and my big mouth heh lol

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Me and my big mouth heh lol

I often think about going LS but I bought this thing because it was computer free and easy to work on. The power would be awesome though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I hear ya. Me too that's I was thinking about going with the Edelbrock carb manifold and firing control module. :)

You must be registered for see images attach

It mounts right to the manifold and basically is a digital distributor

Last edited:

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
For engine swap out, by a competent shop, taking it all apart and putting it all back together, including installing a new torque converter, and taking all the accessories off the old engine and reinstalling everything on the new engine, cleaning things up as they go: figure a thousand. That's basically 13-14 hours labor at $75 an hour. Takes a little less clock time than that to do it, maybe 10-12 hours, but some of those hours need two guys to get the hood off and on, wrestle the blocks out and in, etc. If shop rate is higher by you, adjust accordingly.

gwcrim

Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I vote for a valve issue. As someone else pointed out, even with bad rings there would be more the 0 compression. Checking valve adjustment is free if you can reuse the valve cover gaskets.

Squirt some oil in the dead cylinders and try the compression test again. If there's no change, it's probably not a ring/piston problem.

I always check the cheap fixes first.

creativesteveo

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 V8
Now I'm considering contacting the guy I bought the truck from and trying to get some money back. I bought the truck for $6k and it was advertised as having a new engine, now the engine is only running on 4 cylinders. I'm hoping to get some $ to at least cover half the cost of a new engine.

What do you guys think? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

A few people have asked what I would do if he asked to take the truck back and refund my money. I'm not sure yet. I suppose I could do that, then I have to find a "new" truck all over again. Hmmmm...

I just want my truck to work!
Arg.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Wrong tree... Are you supposed to working in it yourself? The cylinders that have high pressure show that engine to be fairly new :). I bet the P.O. didn't know how to set the valve lash :-( this reason he sold the truck. Probably set it with the engine running lol

Sent from the dust in front of you!

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Ask him if he will cover the cost to have the valve lash set properly. :)

Last edited:

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Now I'm considering contacting the guy I bought the truck from and trying to get some money back. I bought the truck for $6k and it was advertised as having a new engine, now the engine is only running on 4 cylinders. I'm hoping to get some $ to at least cover half the cost of a new engine.

What do you guys think? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

A few people have asked what I would do if he asked to take the truck back and refund my money. I'm not sure yet. I suppose I could do that, then I have to find a "new" truck all over again. Hmmmm...

I just want my truck to work!
Arg.

Agreed. Wrong tree.

Sure can't hurt to remove the valve covers, back all the valve stem nuts out, and reset the lash on all of them, then do the compression check again.

A look under the valve covers will also tell you if it is really a new engine, which will give you some heads up on the probable state of the bottom end.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Wrong tree... Are you supposed to working in it yourself? The cylinders that have high pressure show that engine to be fairly new :). I bet the P.O. didn't know how to set the valve lash :-( this reason he sold the truck. Probably set it with the engine running lol

I have seen that done more than once LMAO. Its priceless how they look at you like somebody hit you with the dumb stick when you tell them that is not how its done. Ironic really LOL

Valve lash is easy! Do you have a Haynes repair manual for 67 through 87 2wd & 4wd pick up trucks ?

If not find one for sale at most parts stores. It will walk you through it step by step. Super easy!

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I have seen that done more than once LMAO. Its priceless how they look at you like somebody hit you with the dumb stick when you tell them that is not how its done. Ironic really LOL

Valve lash is easy! Do you have a Haynes repair manual for 67 through 87 2wd & 4wd pick up trucks ?

If not find one for sale at most parts stores. It will walk you through it step by step. Super easy!
Yea I like hearing "I just tightened the nut till the rockers stop ticking" lol

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Don't get a new engine. Theres reallyno point, you dont need it what so ever, just fix what you have, itd be much easier and much cheaper. Get that idea of a new engine out of your head completely, and if you cant fix it after trying to, bring it to another, trusted, mechanic, and if he cant fix it, then you canthink about a new engine

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Well you have to do it with the engine off and you start with #1 cylinder at TDC and what you do is back off the rocker arm. Now spin the push rod with your fingers while tightening the rocker arm at the same time. As soon as you feel the push rod stops spinning freely the lash is removed. Then tighten an additional 3/4 turn and your done.

Both the intake and the exhaust valve can be done on each cylinder at the same time

Now turn the crankshaft 90 degrees clockwise so that the #8 cylinder is at TDC and repeat.

Repeat all 8 cylinders in order of the firing order 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

You can use the rotor on the distributor to ensure you have the correct cylinder. Also at TDC both the intake and exhaust valve springs will be fully extended as both valves will be closed

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA

creativesteveo

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 V8
Hey guys, It's been a while. I've been super busy with other projects around the house to get to my truck. I'm thinking of just taking the truck back to the shop where I got the compression test and getting the valves adjusted there to get it done. Today I did finally call the mechanic and he guessed that a valve adjustment would run about $300.

He also said that he's NEVER heard of a valve adjustment solving this problem.

What do you guys think?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising