Need a key on 12V source:

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
It's getting colder and i think i've run out of slots on the fuse panel for a 12V source for the choke; i cannot yet run this off of the 2-prong plug near the oil filter because 4.3's are actually a little different in that area (the sensor is too short whereas on a v-8 it would work) and i don't have time to mess with that right now.

Where else besides the fuse box can i get a key on only 12V source?

Or, if there is a way to add circuits/fuses to the fusebox, how would you do that?

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I have totally bypassed the oil pressure switch and simply send power to the carb choke heater. Works great. On the V8's I believe it is the PNK/WHT, not sure about the wire for the 4.3.

Attachments

• elect.jpg
    elect.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 1,058

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
I have totally bypassed the oil pressure switch and simply send power to the carb choke heater. Works great. On the V8's I believe it is the PNK/WHT, not sure about the wire for the 4.3.

This is pretty much what i want to do for now. But where does this pink/wht wire start?

P.S. i don't know if this matters, but my truck is an 83 which originally came with the 305 (83's never had the 4.3) and i later swapped in the 4.3.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Just curious but what about the length of the sensor makes it not usable?

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
This is pretty much what i want to do for now. But where does this pink/wht wire start?

P.S. i don't know if this matters, but my truck is an 83 which originally came with the 305 (83's never had the 4.3) and i later swapped in the 4.3.

The PNK/WHT wire is energized to 12 VDC when the ignition key is in the ON position. It physically protrudes out of the firewall and is one of the wires terminated at the oil pressure switch connector.

My current truck is an 83 and has factory 305.

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID

On 4.3's, the oil filter pad is a little different than a v-8's (not sure why) and the filter is actually different than an 8 (also not sure why?) the diameter is a little smaller, i think a delco P51 or P52 or something. So the sensor's head actually interferes with the pad. All i need is a male to female extension but i don't have time to research and order it. i guess i better make time.

Also the 4.3's oil filter adapter is totally different than a v-8's. (the part where you screw the filter on, also not sure why) You'd think everything would be exactly the same between the two......

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
The PNK/WHT wire is energized to 12 VDC when the ignition key is in the ON position. It physically protrudes out of the firewall and is one of the wires terminated at the oil pressure switch connector.

My current truck is an 83 and has factory 305.

i'm thinking the circuit on the fuse panel that says "choke" is probably where i need to be looking?

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
i'm thinking the circuit on the fuse panel that says "choke" is probably where i need to be looking?
Probably, but easy way to find out is use a test light, with the key off it shouldn't light up, turn the key on and it should light up..

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
On 4.3's, the oil filter pad is a little different than a v-8's (not sure why) and the filter is actually different than an 8 (also not sure why?) the diameter is a little smaller, i think a delco P51 or P52 or something. So the sensor's head actually interferes with the pad. All i need is a male to female extension but i don't have time to research and order it. i guess i better make time.

Also the 4.3's oil filter adapter is totally different than a v-8's. (the part where you screw the filter on, also not sure why) You'd think everything would be exactly the same between the two......

I see. It seems to me that adding an extender and plugging the connector in is equal to finding a power source and running the wire. Unless the factory wiring is not there. Or could you just install a jumper in switch connector.

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size

It sounds like someone may have chopped out some of your wiring. Yes, the .8 PNK/WHT 350 conductor terminates on the fuse block at the "choke" fuse.

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID

Actually, i should probably back up and say that when i first swapped in the first 4.3 (the first 4.3 i bought from a private owner and it pretty soon became apparent that the engine was junk, so i went and got a reman chevrolet performance 4.3 which is what i have now and it runs great) the first 4.3 only had the two prong sensor near the distributor and i think the area near the oil filter was plugged.

i ran the the 2 prong plug up to that position and i THINK i simply unplugged the fuse for the oil light because i think the oil light would constantly be lit if i ran it that way without unplugging the fuse. i'm pretty sure this is what i did.

So i think 4.3's only came with the 2 prong oil sensor near the distributor and that's it. And are probably wired differently than v-8's. OR all trucks after 86 are wired this way? This could explain why i'm having problems with the area near the oil filter-----because i'm trying to wire it exactly like a v-8.

i am currently running it with the one prong sensor (for oil warning light) near the distributor and have a pipe plug near the oil filter.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
so do you guys t off the oil pressure switch or just disconect it all together

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
so do you guys t off the oil pressure switch or just disconect it all together

I removed my switch and placed a brass plug in the hole. Bypassing the switch all together.

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
I removed my switch and placed a brass plug in the hole. Bypassing the switch all together.

This is what i have done as well.

i think i am going to just jumper the plug that fits over this sensor. The fact that the choke is going to be engergized while i'm cranking the engine is of little concern to me because it doesn't get THAT cold here and the engine starts pretty quickly anyways even with no choke. So those few seconds really aren't going to make a big difference.

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
So what's the best way to jumper this plug?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
84evelynrose