Need a inline fuel pump for Carbed 350, what brand/ part?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boltbrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K20
Engine Size
Get a Delco or Delphi pump. Been through bad pumps a couple years ago. Other than the 2 mentioned none I tried had a return spring. Arm stuck down. Picture is a Delphi pump.

Also, if the tank is dirty, it is possible for dirt to become lodged in the check valves inside the pump. A pre-filter may be necessary.
Thanks, I’ll add that filter. Ordered a 3 line Delphi, Part # DFP-MF0002. $20

boltbrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K20
Engine Size
Dude call a qualified mechanic shop. Doesnt sound to me like you have any business at all trying to turn
Hey Rusty Nail, you’ve been putting out BS on this. I tried your “ force it” method long before you suggested it because it has sometimes worked on other motors. However the fact is that when the cam lobe is high on the lever the bolts don’t even reach the holes. If you used longer bolts you didn’t mention it, but they’d need to be mostly all thread and even that’s a PITA. So I’ll tell you how I did it easy. I put the mark on the harmonic balancer up, under the water pump where it’s not visible. Used a 5/8 socket. I had the 1” bolt out of the front of the block and finger tightened one pump bolt in that hole so it just held the pushrod from dropping. Then I checked how close the new pump fit to the block. It was a quarter inch away. Bolted it up. Replaced the bolt holding the rod. If you think muscling that thing in without moving the crank is easier then you must be a glutton for punishment.
I may not know everything about every vehicle but neither does anybody else. I’m on here because I’ve never hired a mechanic in my life except front end and transmission mechanics, and darn few of them. And I’ve never owned a vehicle less than 20 years old. I started when I was 14 and I’ll still learning and so is everybody else on here. Merry Christmas and happy new year

boltbrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K20
Engine Size
For the record: putting the timing mark on the balancer up can put the cam in either of two positions since the cam only makes one revolution to every two the crank makes. So if the mark is up and the pump isn’t close in, turning the crank one more revolution will put the cam where you want it. I still haven’t found the stationary timing marks on this 350. But for installing the fuel pump they’re not needed, except to get it into the ball park.

boltbrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K20
Engine Size
For the record: putting the timing mark on the balancer up can put the cam in either of two positions since the cam only makes one revolution to every two the crank makes. So if the mark is up and the pump isn’t close in, turning the crank one more revolution will put the cam where you want it. I still haven’t found the stationary timing marks on this 350. But for installing the fuel pump they’re not needed, except to get it into the ball park
I’m out of here

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Dude. Put a TORCH to the fuel pump and now the p.o.s. is leaking.
The two bolt part is KICKING. YOUR. AZZ.
Find a mechanic is the best advice for you before you burn your truck to the ground. The cost to repair it THEN would certainly overshadow the twenty dollar pump cost or even a $150 shop bill. It's a much less of a jagged little pill to swallow.

Do you like Alanis Morisette by chance?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This is good aaaadviiiIIIIiice that you just. cant. take.

Sure if you dont succeed sure you can try again but you've got to know when to say when. Beating your head on the wall will NOT yield better results.
It's two 9/16 bolts , a #2 Phillips, and an open end 5/8 and they done laid the smack down on your azz from the top rope. Give up to spare the truck.
Go buy a Honda or somethin. Workin on cars aint for you.

t44e6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
IF you want to install an electric pump, buy once cry once. Facet Interrupter pump.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Don’t forget about the long bolt to hold the rod in place. Or grease or a hook if you know what you’re doing.
A hack saw blade works too. They have enough flexibility to hold the little rod up and still slide out, after you get the bolts in.

GaK10

Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I’m running a Holley Red on mine

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Dude. Put a TORCH to the fuel pump and now the p.o.s. is leaking.
The two bolt part is KICKING. YOUR. AZZ.
Find a mechanic is the best advice for you before you burn your truck to the ground. The cost to repair it THEN would certainly overshadow the twenty dollar pump cost or even a $150 shop bill. It's a much less of a jagged little pill to swallow.

Do you like Alanis Morisette by chance?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This is good aaaadviiiIIIIiice that you just. cant. take.

Sure if you dont succeed sure you can try again but you've got to know when to say when. Beating your head on the wall will NOT yield better results.
It's two 9/16 bolts , a #2 Phillips, and an open end 5/8 and they done laid the smack down on your azz from the top rope. Give up to spare the truck.
Go buy a Honda or somethin. Workin on cars aint for you.
Edit
We can't all be the Mr. Goodwrench that you think you are...

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Dude it's a SBC fuel pump..not rock science.
That job could be completed with the "Do it Herself" toolkit.

Why would somebody start doing that without the confidence AND knowledge to complete it? :shrug:
AND THEN tell everybody on the internet? I think it must have been a joke. When in doubt, use acetylene. :rolleyes:

The tool kit however, is not a joke.. my kid sister used to have one - in grade school. Mebbe OP can win the auction!
*torch not included

Good Luck.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
LOL, calm down everybody before someone gets hit with a purse.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
This thread went off the rails quick lol. In regards to the OP's original question. There are many quality electric pumps, however I don't think any of them offer enough of an advantage over an OE style mechanical unit, unless you have a really thirsty carburetor or plan on doing a TBI conversion. If you're dead set on electric, you can get a tank and sending unit with the fuel pump built in made for a TBI equipped truck and install a regulator somewhere before the carburetor.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Reading this thread has me bitchy. Not because there is a guy here that wants, or maybe at this point I should say wanted some help with his truck. Isn't that the point to this forum? Get help and give help? I don't think is to belittle.

I came in to this thread because he said he had ordered a Delphi 3 port pump and I was wondering if installing that fixed his problem. BTW, he hasn't logged into the forum since he said he was out of here on Thursday, after Rusty's previous comment and he said he was out of here. So now we'll probably never know the end of the story. Thanks for that (sarcasm)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64