Need a inline fuel pump for Carbed 350, what brand/ part?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Reading this thread has me bitchy. Not because there is a guy here that wants, or maybe at this point I should say wanted some help with his truck. Isn't that the point to this forum? Get help and give help? I don't think is to belittle.

I came in to this thread because he said he had ordered a Delphi 3 port pump and I was wondering if installing that fixed his problem. BTW, he hasn't logged into the forum since he said he was out of here on Thursday, after Rusty's previous comment and he said he was out of here. So now we'll probably never know the end of the story. Thanks for that (sarcasm)

Tis the nature of internet discussion, sadly. Even with squabble like this thread, this website is still more civil than a lot of other places on the interwebs.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
He got good advice,to my knowledge he didn't follow any of it read#5#7#8#9#11#14

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Tis the nature of internet discussion, sadly. Even with squabble like this thread, this website is still more civil than a lot of other places on the interwebs.
I agree, but still I feel I have to say something.

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I musta missed the stated intention of the website but I bet it's not coddling. Hand holding may be in the fine print I must have missed that part. Doesn't sound like something id sign up for.

Welcome to the internet Forrest , you never know what you're going to get.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I don't apologize for being a Sheepdog.. The bark is intended to scare the bad guys away in order to protect the flock. That's how I pay the mortgage and it's a constant focus. Whatever our "purpose" I think we're doin okay. Most times life is like like a lazy river -in this place - where one can relax , escape and try to take it all in at their leisure. Luckily? the needs for barking are few and far between yet it seems most times we can watch the world pass by without fear of getting wet. But it happens. Sometimes.

Last edited:

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
My mechanical new pump on my 79 with original 350 is not working out. I’ve read several comments on the unreliability of electric pumps so would like to know if there’s a good pump I could use. I’m planning on mounting it after the tank. Inside the rail. Also, it seems to me those pushrods might not come out? If they don’t can I just leave it in there, sitting where they sit? And do they make plates to bolt over the hole? Thanks much
Yes, they make block of plates, and yes, you can leave the pushrod in there.
Personally, if you have the ability to run a mechanical pump, i would run one.
Delco or precision pumps is what i usually use. Never had any issues.

But if you are going to use an inline pump, i don't have too many suggestions, because ive never used one before. But just the other day i bought a precision brand electric pump to do exactly that on my 87. Dont know how good it is or will work, but the guy said it seems like a good pump. $40, runs between 2 and 9 PSI, easy install, and has a lifetime warrenty. I'll let you know how mine turns out.

Last edited:

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
A hack saw blade works too. They have enough flexibility to hold the little rod up and still slide out, after you get the bolts in.
Ive heard zipties work sometimes.
Ive personally used a little axle grease and a little L shaped hook. Works okay.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Just opened the picture. Thanks again but I’m looking for an electric. Altho I’d consider trying to install my mechanical one more time if it could be done easier. I’ve done it 3 times but haven’t been able to get the cam on tdc yet. I see the mark on the harmonic balancer but no indicator plate. Since the cam turns twice for every revolution of crank I’m assuming I need true TDC but the vids on YouTube aren’t saying how to get it. Thanks
If the pushrod is a the way up, certainly makes it easier.
The way i usually do it, is just hold the pushrod with my finger and bump the starter with a lonewolf (remote starter), until ive felt it go up and stop, and just start to go back down a tiny bit.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Thanks for the great tips. I have installed it three times now. First one I took off and exchanged for one with a return port. That one had the ports pointing towards the chassis rail making it impossible to connect the hoses, (3/8” not so flexible). So took it off, and turned them about 30 degrees with a torch. Got it back in, using the bolt to hold the rod, and visually noting it rising as I turned the crank with a socket on the pulley. Which required me getting up and back underneath about ten times. Didn’t use anything to hold it but the slight pressure from the 3/8 bolt. Capped the return temporarily. Ram great except the port to the carb, it’s inverted flare, was leaking. Not cross threaded. No amount of torque helped. By now it’s 5 degrees and with wind about 10 below zero and I need it running as my other trucks are out of commission too. My heated shop is occupied.
On YouTube a couple vids say setting the cam at tdc puts the lobe where the rod is up. But I hadn’t done that because I couldn’t find tdc. So that’s why I asked. It’s supposed to get to 40 three days, in a week, so I have time to find a AC Delco. Hopefully I can find one with two ports that point towards the front. If I had made a note of where that timing line on the balancer was the last time it would be easier this time. I don’t think I’ll put my finger in there while it turns over. But might use some kind of measuring stick. Thanks very much
I had this issue on my corvette. Had a pump where the lines aimed right at the frame.
I ended up getting a pump of an 83 Camaro. Tha worked perfctly. Same exact pump, except the lines point forward, way easier..

So id sugest going to the parts store and order one for an 83 Camaro with a 305.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I musta missed the stated intention of the website but I bet it's not coddling. Hand holding maybe in the fine print I must have missed that part. Doesn't sound like something id sign up for.

Welcome to the internet Forrest , you never know what you're going to get.

I don't apologize for being a Sheepdog.. The bark is intended to scare the bad seeds away in order to protect the flock. That's how I pay the mortgage and it's a constant focus. Whatever our "purpose" I think we're doin okay. Most times life is like like a lazy river -in this place - where one can relax , escape and try to take it all in at their leisure. Luckily? the needs for barking are few and far between yet it seems most times we can watch the world pass by without fear of getting wet. But it happens. Sometimes.
I understand really I do. I get frustrated to on the forum from time to time as well, like with the constant duplicative windshield wiper motor / linkage questions, but just remember there is always someone smarter than we are and we don't like to get talked down to either. That's my only point.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Also, double check the psi. Carb wants about 5.5 psi, much more than that your float assembly may not do its job. Many clickity clackity pumps are 12ish psi I believe. Long term, getting a regulator and inline pressure gauge is a good idea.
make sure the electric pump doesnt have a check valve which means its not self priming Im pretty sure, because then the manual pump can still pull gas

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Come on we are 41 posts in to changing a fuel pump. Just let it go. O. P. Has had enough advice to handle this.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Yes, they make block of plates, and yes, you can leave the pushrod in there.
Personally, if you have the ability to run a mechanical pump, i would run one.
Delco or precision pumps is what i usually use. Never had any issues.

But if you are going to use an inline pump, i don't have too many suggestions, because ive never used one before. But just the other day i bought a precision brand electric pump to do exactly that on my 87. Dont know how good it is or will work, but the guy said it seems like a good pump. $40, runs between 2 and 9 PSI, easy install, and has a lifetime warrenty. I'll let you know how mine turns out.
Check valve kind?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Cam position has nothing to do with the pump. Got a hacksaw? Take the blade off. Use it to hold the push rod up with your left hand. Insert fuel pump with the end of the arm underneath the pump rod. Pull hacksaw blade out and start the bolts on the pump housing. Go back and forth between the two bolts and gently tighten the pump to the block. Easy Peasy. Forget electric pumps. They all suck unless they are mounted inside the tank. Carry on.
Will this work if you're left handed? Or do I have to hold the hacksaw blade with my right hand? Do you have any idea how hard it is to find left handed hacksaw blades?

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Will this work if you're left handed? Or do I have to hold the hacksaw blade with my right hand? Do you have any idea how hard it is to find left handed hacksaw blades?
My favorite is the left handed hammers. People just dont get it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS