Mysterious black box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjewett444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Does anyone know what the little black box under the drivers side of the dash is on an 84 silverado? i searched everywhere and couldn't find any information. It says AC on the plastic housing and inside is just a circuit board with a harness attached that might be taped together to a large vacuum hose through the firewall and connected to the intake manifold. The box mounts to a bracket connected to the brake pedal support. anyone know? plz help.. thanks

-Jim

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
It's probably one of those ebay scam boxes that has a circuit board in it or a couple wires and a resistor like this pic. Supposed to give more hp and gas mileage, huge scam!

Attachments

• IMG_3911.jpg
    IMG_3911.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:

jjewett444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Jarhead79, i don't think it's an aftermarket thing, it looks like it was there from factory.
RetroC10Sport, would cruise control have a large vacuum line from the intake manifold on a port behind the carb and run through the firewall and under dash? and if so am I able to remove the box, all wiring and vacuum line since I do not use cruise control? thanks fellas for the help

-Jim

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
The vacuum line is supposed to go to a servo on the intake, but someone must have decided on something better. Take it all out and cap off the port.

jjewett444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
ok cool. thanks for the help

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Lol oops sorry, only reason I thought of this was because a guy who sold me a car a while back tried to convince me it had a performance chip in it for horsepower, I asked if he meant a programmer, he's like no it's just a two wire performance chip that was wired into the harness under the hood. The label looked cartoonish and fake....lol when I got the car home and removed it I opened it up and it was I just like the pic I posted. Hahaha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade