1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Rear End Build For My Low Buck Street/Race Truck

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by Mark Jones, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Craig Nedrow

Craig Nedrow Full Access Member

First Name:
    Craig
    Truck Year:
    1973 (have two)
    Truck Model:
    K10 and k20
    Engine Size:
    Mark as in woodburn Ore? Mark where are you located? Love your attitude, and your inventiveness, old school, admire your work. Come late fall-winter, hope to do lots of wrenching, build my LQ4 for the 54 Chevy. Would love to get it into the 12's to start, hopefully better as time goes on. Keep posting as I "monitor" your progress, as you are someone that "Get's er' done.

Catbox likes this.
  2. Mark Jones

Mark Jones Full Access Member

First Name:
    Mark
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C10
    Engine Size:
    Yes Woodburn Oregon, I've raced there before, very fast there. Thanks for the nice comments. I live in Colorado Springs and Thousand Oaks Ca, right now in Colorado. My first series of modifications netted a reduction of 9 tenths of a second and 3 3/4 of a MPH. I still have the light weight front rims and tires and the aluminum drive shaft to go.

Catbox likes this.
  3. Craig Nedrow

Craig Nedrow Full Access Member

First Name:
    Craig
    Truck Year:
    1973 (have two)
    Truck Model:
    K10 and k20
    Engine Size:
    Wow, 9/10 and 3 3/4 is a bunch. Sure wish you were closer, we need a great machinist up here. Watched everything and subscribed to everything youtube. You are meticulous, absolutely necessary for machine work. Worked only a smattering in auto machine shop, but have ported heads, assembled all my motors after the machining, (caught a few small mistakes, that would have made my last 350 a dog, forgot to finish two valves on my 350!) Putting a high horse (for me,) LQ4 turbo motor this winter. Need to pull it apart, and check the bores, but will replace the pistons with between .025-.030 dish forged pistons and file fit rings. Using a Borg Warner 465 turbo, 728 open chamber heads ported by Katech, Launiti 6.125 rods with ARP bolts, Texas Speed turbo cam, around .600+ lift turbo cam. For my cool old 54 chevy 3600. All most done with chassis and suspension. Built a dana 61 from a ford 450 truck. Converted in to fanged axle, with big ford bearing, Strange 35 spline S/S axles, 4.56 Yukon gears. Welded ears onto the center section to make it triangulated, Mustang disk brakes. Want to take to Bonneville next year if they run, coolest place on earth for home built fast cars. Yes I will change the gears for that. Keep posting here and Youtube!

4. Matt69olds

Matt69olds Full Access Member

First Name:
    Matt
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    GMC 1/2 ton
    Engine Size:
    455 Olds

The 30 inch tires will tame the 5.13 gears. Properly built, a 327 will handle rod stretching rpm easily.

idahovette likes this.
  5. Mark Jones

Mark Jones Full Access Member

First Name:
    Mark
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C10
    Engine Size:
    Moving to the front of the truck now, I have my rotors machined for a 5 on 4/3/4 pattern, 15x3.5 lightweight rims with Moroso tires going on, looking forward to seeing what this does for my ET! IMG_1152.JPG

IMG_1154.JPG

Catbox likes this.