My Mean 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stewzer55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 TBI
Also, the 4L65e sunshell is nearly identical to the beast.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
i have one that came out of a 1993 burb 1500..it has the what i call the rainbow mark on the side of the case...from my understanding that supposed to be the better 700r4s...and yeah i have a overhual manual that im going by and i talk to summit a couple of times before i got the kit just to make sure that it would work..

That just ensures you have a later model, and I've also seen the later model not have it. Also, No pressure ports on the passenger side of the case is another tell tale that it's a later model, but some of the early good models do have pressure parts and no rainbows. The most important part is just to be able to see the #'s and KNOW you have a 93 model unit. That's the better unit for certain. 88 and up is what you want. 87 will work too, but 88 up to be sure.

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
alrighty. its getting dark out ill go out tomorrow and check it out.......its kinda funny after 2 years of not messing with this stuff..you kinda forget the specifics you once knew about something...lol

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Also, the 4L65e sunshell is nearly identical to the beast.

I wasn't aware of that. Is it actually the Smart Shell? If so, it would be in the later 4L65's but doubtful in the early ones.

Stewzer55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 TBI
It could be the smart shell, the 4L65 has a stronger sun shell than the 4L60 and it has one more planetary pinion like the beast does too. I think they 4L65 had some changes in the clutch packs to increase the power handling capabilities.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
There's an extra clutch in the 3/4 clutch pack, 5 pinion planets which is a no biggie since 4L60-E never had a problem there, the GM Smart Shell that started in I think 05 and actually has a bearing race as a thrust washer. Some say there is some added hardening of the input and output shafts too but I highly doubt that. I've seen several 4L65-E's get shattered on the track. They come in Vette's, GTO's, Denali and Escalades. Probably in the later trucks too until the 6 speed came about. Nice to have the little added features, but most are really not all that big of a deal.

And a huge mistake guys make, they go buying these Chinese 5 pinion planets off of ebay, or "Hardened Sun Shell" that is NOT the Beast or GM Smart Shell, and that **** is actually weaker than the original weak Sun Shell or GM's OEM 4 pinion planets. Stick To Sonnax or GM OEM parts and you're better off.

lusktommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7L (350ci)
good info HR, ive seen some of those foreign make kits, they are cheaper but like you said they made cheaper too...ive done smartened up and i only by trusted names here in the USA for engine and drivetrain parts..there is no substitute for when your talking reliability and durability..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus