My Big 3 Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dot4x4

Reaction score
First Name
scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Silverado
Engine Size
Nice job.

Nasty.... It allows the electrical system to work more efficiently by improving the "ground" side of the electrics. Think of drinking a soda from a coffee stirrer. Then switch out for a soda straw. You don't have to work as hard. Same principle but in reverse.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
3 is before 4

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Lol

Sent from the dust in front of you!

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Ok so I added a 4 gauge piece of welding wire from the negative bolt hole on the back of the alternator to the battery and the alternator no longer gets hot much less warm and seems to handle more load. The alternator used to get hot even when the weather was cold. Previously I only had a wire from the alternator bracket to the batt and the alternator used to get hot.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok so I added a 4 gauge piece of welding wire from the negative bolt hole on the back of the alternator to the battery and the alternator no longer gets hot much less warm and seems to handle more load. The alternator used to get hot even when the weather was cold. Previously I only had a wire from the alternator bracket to the batt and the alternator used to get hot.

It makes you wonder. We run a ground from the negative to the alternator bracket so why not eliminate the bracket and bolt it directly to the block? Then ground the alternator to the same spot on the block?

I've been reading a lot lately about grounding the back of the alternator to a good ground source and this is just further proof it maybe a good idea.

It sucks as you'll have more wiring in the bay but it could be hidden easily enough.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Yep it's worth it and the wires can be hidden as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynhigh88