Muffler recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scwaters

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sunny
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Shortbed 4x4
Engine Size
76 pre cat SB, magna flow has good balance of sound

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I thought about bring up cats last night.

If your still running a pellet cat you really should switch to a modern honey comb style. The old pellets cats had issues with creating high back pressure and even coming apart internally forcing the pellets into the exhaust system. The modern cat is light years ahead of a pellet cat and you can pick a high flow unit if your concerned about having a cat affecting your engines performance.

For reference if your not sure what kind of cat your running on the left is a modern cat, smaller and oval, to the right is a pellet cat flatter and much wider.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
My first s10 (an 87') had the " pellet", i called them beads type cat on it. The cat fell apart internally and spit the beads/pellets out all over the road for many miles! Plus the driveway! Dad said it was spreading chevy seeds! Lmfao! My 91' s10 that i daily has a honeycomb (i think) but the exhaust stinks so im betting its plugged. But ive already planned on removing it and straight piping to a different muff and duals out the bumper.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
My first s10 (an 87') had the " pellet", i called them beads type cat on it. The cat fell apart internally and spit the beads/pellets out all over the road for many miles! Plus the driveway! Dad said it was spreading chevy seeds! Lmfao! My 91' s10 that i daily has a honeycomb (i think) but the exhaust stinks so im betting its plugged. But ive already planned on removing it and straight piping to a different muff and duals out the bumper.
I'm a cat guy. I've got one on my truck and on my 77 Cad both are modern types. Part of that is of course I have to limit my exposure to the bad stuff in exhaust. But IDK the exact year the pellet cat went away, but I'd think your 91 would have been factory equiped with a honeycomb. I might have to look the exact year up later if I think about. Quite frankly I can't see how a pellet cat could still be alive and functional today given the issues with those unit.

That smell could be a bad cat. I'm not trying to imply anything about your S10 in this statement, but overly rich or burning oil can make them stink pretty bad too.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I'm a cat guy. I've got one on my truck and on my 77 Cad both are modern types. Part of that is of course I have to limit my exposure to the bad stuff in exhaust. But IDK the exact year the pellet cat went away, but I'd think your 91 would have been factory equiped with a honeycomb. I might have to look the exact year up later if I think about. Quite frankly I can't see how a pellet cat could still be alive and functional today given the issues with those unit.

That smell could be a bad cat. I'm not trying to imply anything about your S10 in this statement, but overly rich or burning oil can make them stink pretty bad too.
Yea, youve seen my 78 exhaust... no cats! Lol but big 10 came that way factory. My s10 still has it but im the cut it off n chuck it guy! Im not a greenie tree hugger kind! Its hindering my performance and it stinks, plus smokes.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

My '86 GMC shortbed tire dual straights with old cherry bomb glasspacks that my boss put on in the 90s. Now has it's new L98 350 pushing threw then instead of the old 305. Sounds exactly the same as it did though.
I'd say they're aged to perfection. They sound different than brand new ones.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

With GM, it varied by application. My 80's Celebritys and Camaros have all had the newer type, but IIRC, my '91 S10 had the pellet type still. And just last week I pulled the original pellet type converter from my '93 C1500.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
With GM, it varied by application. My 80's Celebritys and Camaros have all had the newer type, but IIRC, my '91 S10 had the pellet type still. And just last week I pulled the original pellet type converter from my '93 C1500.
Thinking back to my time in auto repair IIRC I started in 1994 or so. Gee, it just wasn't something I thought much about then, but ya, I know my 85 Celebrity had a the honeycomb type cat and I bought that car about the same time I was starting in automotive. So I looked it up. The start date is "early 80's", with cars getting them first and the last pellet cat was apparently installed in the G-van in 1994. No differentiation is made for weight class.

When I bought my 77 Cadillac, 8 or so years ago it still had a pellet cat to, but it was not alive nor functional. What it was, was a terrible restriction, and the car had two blown out exhaust manifold gaskets.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

My '86 GMC shortbed tire dual straights with old cherry bomb glasspacks that my boss put on in the 90s. Now has it's new L98 350 pushing threw then instead of the old 305. Sounds exactly the same as it did though.
I'd say they're aged to perfection. They sound different than brand new ones.
I remember back in the day, guys would take new glass packs, drill holes into them, depending on length maybe 4 or so and pour some oil into them. Start the engine and warm it until it quit smoking. A couple rounds of that and you'd get a new glass pack to sound like an old aged glass pack or close to it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400