Muffler recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ethan0

Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I’m looking for muffler recommendations for my 1976 k10. Has a stock 350, stock manifolds, and a cat. Old one needs to be replaced. Looking for one that makes it a little louder than stock and gives it more of a deep rumble. Has 2 1/4” pipes. Any recommendations would be great. Thanks.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I’m looking for muffler recommendations for my 1976 k10. Has a stock 350, stock manifolds, and a cat. Old one needs to be replaced. Looking for one that makes it a little louder than stock and gives it more of a deep rumble. Has 2 1/4” pipes. Any recommendations would be great. Thanks.
How much do you want to spend?

If you want to hear the tone differences of different mufflers, looking up various mufflers on google will help you out. For economy pricing Thrush has a collection of different muffler videos. For higher priced and higher quality so does flow master.

Also how and where you terminate the tail pipes can make a huge difference in what you hear in the cab. Straight out the back at the rear bumper will be the quietest. Sides behind the rear wheels will be next in line, with out the sides in front of the rear wheels being the loudest in the cab second only to no tail pipe or or turned down under the truck which IMO is just terrible in terms of sound and what it does to the underside of the truck. Seriously though the length of the tail pipe and where it terminates will make a big difference in sound. Even taking like the side exit, straight out the side vs angled out the side will make a subtle difference.

In the end it's going to come down to you and your preferences and no one can tell you what will sound best in your setup and to your ears.

Given that you say and a cat I assume this is a single exhaust setup? Are you looking to go dual or just change the muffler on a factory single system?

Ethan0

Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Not looking for anything too expensive, probably under $200 or so. It’s single exhaust setup that goes out to the rear bumper. Muffler sits at the end of the cab. Just looking to change the muffler from factory. Was looking at at flowmasters or magnaflows but wasn’t sure if there were better options.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Not looking for anything too expensive, probably under $200 or so. It’s single exhaust setup that goes out to the rear bumper. Muffler sits at the end of the cab. Just looking to change the muffler from factory. Was looking at at flowmasters or magnaflows but wasn’t sure if there were better options.
I would say no. Thrush would be a lower economy option. Dynamax makes darn near factory dead ringer. I could get you the PNs if you want. Flowmaster 40 would likely be a good choice.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Ive got flowmaster super 44s on my square and i love them, get compliments on its sound. Also my setup is different then yours so...

Ethan0

Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok, I was thinking about flowmaster 40 or super 44 at first but heard people say that they sound tinny sometimes but I’ve also heard a lot of good so I might just go with one of those

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Ok, I was thinking about flowmaster 40 or super 44 at first but heard people say that they sound tinny sometimes but I’ve also heard a lot of good so I might just go with one of those
A lot depends on the pipe size too. I honestly would just get a summit chambered muffler, they are going to be an almost exact replica of the Flowmaster 44. You can see them in action on one of the enginemasters episodes.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Mine do drone alot but mine are right under the cab... i dont mind the sound though. Side note: mine are 3" all the way frome the header collector
You must be registered for see images attach

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I do have vids of my truck running on my youtube channel... ill see if i can find one to post.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Mine is dual 3" all the way back with flowmaster 50 series big block mufflers dumping at the axle. It will eventually get an H-pipe and dump behind the rear wheels, but for now it is actually fairly quiet. No drone and a nice deep rumble without any highway drone.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Here my idle...
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

And a driving vid. Please ignore my voice, I HATE IT!!!!

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ive got flowmaster super 44s on my square and i love them, get compliments on its sound. Also my setup is different then yours so...

I do have vids of my truck running on my youtube channel... ill see if i can find one to post.
I was actually going to ask if you happened to have a video. I bet you'd have a lot less drone if the tail pipes extended out past the body, I mean if you want less drone, some people like that, some don't.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Here my idle...

And a driving vid. Please ignore my voice, I HATE IT!!!!

Your voice is fine BTW. As is your mufflers, to my ears. The one thing that is really good about having your voice in there is one can establish that your talking in a normal conversation volume and compare that to the sound of the truck. Sometimes in a muffler video it's hard to tell volume because the listener can control the volume on the playing device. So I like them. I like the sound, but I would need longer tail pipes, maybe even out the back to tone it down a bit. I'm still rockin a single exhaust with larger than factory pipes so probably not going to change that, but I always enjoy hearing someone else setup.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg