mud truck wiring harness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jth678

Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
5.7 350
well my truck is coming along good so far but now i want to really get it right! i was wondering if any one can point me in the right direction for a wiring diagram for my mud truck? this truck will be hauled to the mud bogs so i dont need lights i dont need any a/c or heat or any thing. all i want is the 350 carbed motor and gauges. ive made my own dash out of aluminum plate ill have oil pressure, temp, and volts for gauges with a tach mounted on the top. any help is appriciated . i looked at the painless wiring harnesses but i really dont want to have to pay 500+ for that stuff when i dont think i need all that. thanks again you guys have been a lot of help so far on this ole mud truck project!

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
Positive with a toggle switch for the ignition, psh button for the starter. Then wire your gauges per the instructions for the gauges.

jth678

Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
5.7 350
ok i made this up and im not sure if its right can someone look and see if this will work?

Attachments

• wires.jpg
    wires.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 261

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
Lights and radio? I thought you said this was a mud truck? You're adding a lot of different things there, and one problem I see you're going to run into, with the alternator, it will backfeed, and the truck will not turn off when you flip the ignition switch.

What circuits ate you wanting to run? I see ignition, starter, radio?, lighting (consisting of what?) Fuel pump, and I can't read the others.

Last edited:

bobkyle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
On our mud race trucks we don't run alternators.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Fuse-Pane...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4602d95d41&vxp=mtr

You run a single wire to that fuse panel. And it gives you fuses to your accessories you want. I'd put one of those to the ignition. And i would remove all stock fusible links.

This is what i will be running in my mud truck. But i will be using the stock wiring for the head and tail lights. And no stock wiring on the engine side.

jth678

Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
5.7 350
Well i got to thinking and decided to put a set of kc lights for headlights and i figured a radio would be easy to wire up so i could jam while im destroying a mud hole haha

jth678

Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
5.7 350
How should i wire the alternator and as far as the lights and radio i really dont think thats really that much extra its only two more things plus i might add cooling fans later on down the rd when i move my radiator and trans cooler to the bed.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
So this isn't a comp mud truck... Just use the stock wiring.

jth678

Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
5.7 350
naw ill figure it out i dont want the computer or any of that other crap in there i took the fuse box loose from the firewall and it looked like it had been melted at one time so im just going to redo it all the way i want it but thanks for the advice on the alternator.

jth678

Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
5.7 350
thanks i appreciate it that will really help!

dianaluther

Reaction score
First Name
diana
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
7500lb
Just see in ebay there will be in deals its really help you..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firewud316