Msd 8226 coil with large dist cap setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grey83c20

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Have the stock large coil on cap distributor on my carb'd 305. Then I have an msd 8226 coil from my 92 z28 that I sold. It of course has the newer dual plug design for the small cap hei.

Question is can I modify the msd coil to work in place of the stock coil in my truck? Or adapt it to work.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I don't know the fine details of the wiring, but I wouldn't do this. If, hypothetically, you could get the coil wired up correctly, the distributor assembly would have to be changed to a TBI one, and then you have the dilemma of the one wire EST connector that uses the computer/ESC circuit's directions to advance/retard timing versus the four wire connector on your current distributor that uses a knock sensor and ESC module (non-computerized ESC circuit) to advance/retard. It just seems like a lot of mismatched stuff and extra money to be spent, and it's probably best to try and sell the thing (lots of TBI folks on here), but if you want extra volts, the MSD 8225 is almost as good, and you'd probably come out cheaper. That's just my opinion, and someone more well versed in this stuff could come along and have a different one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paz4x4