Motor revving at stoplight...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I may take a look at the tps then.

Thanks guys!!! :) I'm not use to odb1 troubleshooting :)

If your harness is like the trucks, your TPS plug has a green, a blue, and a black wire.
with the key in the on position, Take a DVOM and probe the - to the black wire terminal, and the + to the green wire terminal. You should see 5v.
if so, plug it back into the TPS, and with The + probe, you can go from the wire side of the plug through the rubber, and probe the blue wire, and you can ground the - anywhere you want, and watch the meter while you rotate the throttle, look for any glitches or dead spots. Closed throttle should be no less than .5v
Wide open should be around 4v.
Assuming you see 5v in the first test, that alone would make me replace the TPS.
The only time you will see voltage code from the ECM is when the Alternator regulator takes a ****, and spikes up over 17v.

Last edited:

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
If your harness is like the trucks, your TPS plug has a green, a blue, and a black wire.
with the key in the on position, Take a DVOM and probe the - to the black wire terminal, and the + to the green wire terminal. You should see 5v.
if so, plug it back into the TPS, and with The + prob, you can go from the wire side of the plug through the rubber, and probe the blue wire, and you can ground the - anywhere you want, and watch the meter while you rotate the throttle, look for any glitches or dead spots. Closed throttle should be no less than .5v
Wide open should be around 4v.
Assuming you see 5v in the first test, that alone would make me replace the TPS.
The only time you will see voltage code from the ECM is when the Alternator regulator takes a ****, and spikes up over 17v.

This^^^^^^^^^^
Jim definitely knows his fuel injection

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Just got done replacing my throttle position sensor. Took it for a spin and it runs good! We will see how things go this week :)

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Just got done replacing my throttle position sensor. Took it for a spin and it runs good! We will see how things go this week :)

Cool man!! :hands:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:party33: can't imagine paying someone to do that! Took me 20 minutes and if I'd taken it to a shop probably woulda been charged $200

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:party33: can't imagine paying someone to do that! Took me 20 minutes and if I'd taken it to a shop probably woulda been charged $200

:lol:

That's how we roll he brah!! :High 5:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squareframe