Motor Mounts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SeanRafferty

Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.7L
The person I got the truck from home made this mounts, I was wondering where I can find a kit to replace these or how to make my own crossmember?
You must be registered for see images attach

cbrodine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Collin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
Your missing the crossmember and the motor mount frame brackets? Or just the motor mount frame brackets? If its just the brackets that the motor mount bolt to, I have another set if you need them.

cbrodine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Collin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
Never mind, I see the picture a lil better now.

Moats31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 and k10
Engine Size
I've seen them on eBay the other day!

83 gmc c10
- 350/a883

BUILT NOT BOUGHT

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Like anything, else it's a matter of degrees. Frames come from the mill with dozens - if not 100's - of holes drilled in them. Some get filled with rivets, some get bolts and some get nothing.

It more a matter of knowing where not to drill, the maximum allowable bore for the given area and the allowable amount of surface area reduction caused by drilling.

Far greater damage is done when people start using a torch/plasma cutter. There is a huge difference between a clean cut made with a sharp drill bit and blowing a hole with a flame.

Here are a couple of shots showing stock frame rails - it looks like Swiss cheese in certain areas:

Attachments

• 85k30framel.jpg
    85k30framel.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 130
  • 85k30wireclip2.jpg
    85k30wireclip2.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 87
  • HPIM1701.jpg
    HPIM1701.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 108

junkyardog05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
454/ 400 turbo/ NP203
The person I got the truck from home made this mounts, I was wondering where I can find a kit to replace these or how to make my own crossmember?

I seen this and jumped that definitely doesn't look like a good idea, a cross member is a must for your build.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
I seen this and jumped that definitely doesn't look like a good idea, a cross member is a must for your build.

It looks like this may have been a 2WD truck converted to 4x4?

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
Like anything, else it's a matter of degrees. Frames come from the mill with dozens - if not 100's - of holes drilled in them. Some get filled with rivets, some get bolts and some get nothing.

It more a matter of knowing where not to drill, the maximum allowable bore for the given area and the allowable amount of surface area reduction caused by drilling.

Far greater damage is done when people start using a torch/plasma cutter. There is a huge difference between a clean cut made with a sharp drill bit and blowing a hole with a flame.

Here are a couple of shots showing stock frame rails - it looks like Swiss cheese in certain areas:

I don't disagree about the ability to drill the frame. I also agree about the difference between a PROPERLY drilled hole vs a torch cut hole. My point was that the flanges (as I was taught) are an absolute no drill zone. The frame wall is drillable and I know people who have drilled the frame walls strategically just for weight reduction. The strength of the frame isn't so much in the wall as it is the flanges and it doesn't take much to weaken them.

This is how I was taught, I am not saying that it is gospel. I'm looking for clarification as I am always willing to learn something new.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
C channel is designed to be installed with the greatest stresses/loading being parallel to the long side. This is apparent when looking at truck frame rails as an example.

It is a given that, other than during an t-bone type impact from a crash, the purpose of the frame rails (basically a pair of parallel c-channels) is primarily to support loads that are applied in the vertical direction.

The flanges, as you are calling them, are essentially only there to prevent twisting of the long (i.e load bearing side) during periods of heavy multi-vector loading.

Under controlled laboratory conditions, where the load force could be applied perfectly parallel to the long side (and thus eliminate any twisting/torque considerations) the short sides would basically serve no purpose.

As an example, take a hacksaw blade and observe how easy it deflects when a bending moment is applied perpendicular to the flat sides of the blade. Then try to bend the blade by applying the same moment parallel to the blade sides. It doesn't bend.

The dimension of the short sides of c-channel can be quite small in relation to the long side and still be effective. The edge length is often determined more by construction and mounting requirements than structural strength requirements. And also, to limit deflection of the long side in the event of a side impact.

Drilling into them has minimal effect on the primary purpose of the frame rails as a whole - which is to support the weight of the body and cargo loads (downward forces) and the upward forces generated by the suspension system.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

Holy phuck!!!!! :wtf:

Sent from my iPod touch 4th Gen using Tapatalk

SeanRafferty

Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.7L
Yes it is a 2wd converted to a 4x4.. It was made into a 4x4 with a 327 in it.. The kid I bought it from put the 350 in himself. All the other work is good but those mounts are trash

SeanRafferty

Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.7L
I like the crossmember, but those mounts in that picture don't look anything like mine.. I do have a set of mounts that look like that with a crossmember that came with my
Truck, I attempted to swap the mounts but they didn't seem to fit or bolt up anywhere.

SeanRafferty

Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.7L
Frame does already have 650,000 miles under its belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics