Motor mount question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
@HotRodPC you knew a lot about motor mounts, yes?
my engine/trans/transfer case are mounted too far forward and my z bar is bent from it. I think if I unbolt the z bar, support engine, put new engine mounts in, move my crossmember to the right spot, it should all line up(maybe replace z bar..?)

I just had a thought. Where is your pivot ball mounted? To the engine block or to the bellhousing?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
@HotRodPC you knew a lot about motor mounts, yes?
my engine/trans/transfer case are mounted too far forward and my z bar is bent from it. I think if I unbolt the z bar, support engine, put new engine mounts in, move my crossmember to the right spot, it should all line up(maybe replace z bar..?)
It might not be the wrong motor mounts. It might be that someone used the wrong set of holes in the frame for the mount pad that the clamshell sets on. :shrug: I'm not much of the expert here. To the best of my knowledge there's small block mounts and big block mounts. Big Block mounts are just shorter in height so the engine doesn't set to high.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I just had a thought. Where is your pivot ball mounted? To the engine block or to the bellhousing?
I would assume the block, let me find a pic
The twist in z bar corresponds to the broken np208 mount and the broken motor mounts, where the engine on passenger side is forward and a slight kick downward. And the driver side is just broke and it sits low and dipped down

You must be registered for see images attach

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Them pics seem to close up for me to make sense at what I'm looking at. What's it look like standing at the driver side fender looking back toward the Z bar linkage? It appears these pics are from underneath. Need to see the Z bar alignment from the frame to the block/bellhousing or whereever it goes. And you say it's off so you think the engine is to far forward?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I can never really tell what's out of alignment either. Hard angles to judge in pictures I guess.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Them pics seem to close up for me to make sense at what I'm looking at. What's it look like standing at the driver side fender looking back toward the Z bar linkage? It appears these pics are from underneath. Need to see the Z bar alignment from the frame to the block/bellhousing or whereever it goes. And you say it's off so you think the engine is to far forward?
And twisted! Here are some better pics my PC had

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

@HotRodPC @bucket hoepfully clearer for ya?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I just can't figure out in the pics why the z-bar appears to be so far out of alignment. Even if they are completely shot, the engine mounts shouldn't be able to cause that.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I just can't figure out in the pics why the z-bar appears to be so far out of alignment. Even if they are completely shot, the engine mounts shouldn't be able to cause that.
it looks like they were all worn and the drivetrain just kept twisting and probably didnt help the clutch dumping i and gpa have definitely done and its a lot of mass with a lot of play

strut rod for np208 + sm465?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
OK, so now I see the pivot ball is on the bellhousing. It almost looks like if you were to raise the transmission a bit, it might push that pivot ball a bit more forward and straighten out the actual Z bar.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
OK, so now I see the pivot ball is on the bellhousing. It almost looks like if you were to raise the transmission a bit, it might push that pivot ball a bit more forward and straighten out the actual Z bar.
I do have a new bellhousing cover(unecessary to change i would think), a good boot(could buy a new one), fork, z bar, and its hardware (well, used, but not bent or broken), do you think that would be a worthwhile change after i fix my mounts or should i see how well it works before i do that? Im thinking if my crossmember and mounts are proper it would sit better

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Im thinking if my crossmember and mounts are proper it would sit better

I’m thinking you’re correct. After multiple threads about this, it’s evident that your entire drivetrain is about 1 piece of broken baling wire from just falling out of the truck all on its own.
There’s literally 3 things that hold the drivetrain in place. 2 motor mounts and a cross member and all 3 of those are fubarred.
Stop hypothesizing and fix the root cause of the problem instead of “supposing” what “may be” the issue.
This is evident and either you fix it or procrastinate about it.
Whether it’s worth fixing right, or not, is an emotional decision on your part.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I do have a new bellhousing cover(unecessary to change i would think), a good boot(could buy a new one), fork, z bar, and its hardware (well, used, but not bent or broken), do you think that would be a worthwhile change after i fix my mounts or should i see how well it works before i do that? Im thinking if my crossmember and mounts are proper it would sit better
I don't know that your linkage is bent. I'd just make sure you get your mounts and crossmember in proper positions, meaning get back to ground zero where it's supposed to be and then evaluate the Z bar and linkage. IF it's not bent, then it should all fall back into place where it belongs. If it's bent, then replace it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising