More wiring fun...this time with a video.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ulm4lyf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande 15
Engine Size
I have found some loose wires on my 1978 C15, and don't have a clue where they may have gone in the past. This is in addition to the bad ground that I have somewhere. I know how to wire things up to make them work, but I'm at a complete loss when figuring out why something electrical isn't working.

funky wires <<<------- video here

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

mshawn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Micah
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10,jimmy,k10
Engine Size
Ok I’ll bite!!! What you got?? Hit me with it

smullen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I6
I have found some lose wires on my 1978 C15, and don't have a clue where they may have gone in the past. This is in addition to the bad ground that I have somewhere. I know how to wire things up to make them work, but I'm at a complete loss when figuring out why something electrical isn't working. funky wires
Same boat as you.
I've wired up tons of Car and home Stereos, and I'm a network Engineer by trade, so I have ran and terminated MILES of Catx and Fiber, plus wired both AC and -48v DC telco gear.
Some of the big CISCO Whole rack routers have up to 10 Positive and 10 Negative Cables to power them. They each go back to a PDU and a each Breakered. You have to locate and shut everyone run off on one side to change out a power supply.

But I can't figure out my dash lights...

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Check the taillight fuse first. No taillights, no dashlights.

Check for power on the dash lamp fuse (both sides) with the headlights on, and the dimmer turned all the way up.

If that’s good, remove the headlight switch. The green wire supplies power to the dash light fuse. It comes out of the dash light fuse as gray.

If all that checks out, either you have a broken wore someplace between the dash and fise, or every bulb is burned out.

ulm4lyf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande 15
Engine Size
I have a new theory on the mystery wires. I think that they may have went to a cruise control unit of some kind. I haven't traced it back through the dash yet, but there is a (aftermarket?) cruise control switch tucked up under the steering column that may be connected to it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garrettkeith