More Speaker Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aGood'olBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have the mounting brackets for the factory 4x10's in the cab corners. I've also heard that 4x10's sound like crap and always will even with aftermarket speakers. Could i jerry rig some 6x9's to fit in the oem bracketry? As in simple cutting and drilling with a dremel? Or do all oval speakers sound bad? I'd like to keep the oem bracketry because i can't afford new brackets.
The other question i have is about the corner dash speakers. My truck didn't have them but some came from the factory with 3.5's there. So could i fit 4's in there with more dremel work??

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
I made rear brackets out of plywood.
attachment.php

You could even cover them in carpet if you didnt like the wood look.

And as far as the front, your dash has the cutouts in the dash, you just need the little brackets that skrew to the dash.
You must be registered for see images attach

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If you buy 3.5's from Crutchfield, they'll give you the brackets for free. I don't think 4 inchers would fit very well.

aGood'olBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
4's are a no go then. Alright should I retain the factory sized 4x10's or should I go 6x9's? Or should I ditch oval speakers all together?? Regarding the speakers in the rear cab corners.

Stewzer55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 TBI
If you really want good sound, there should be room enough for a 6.5" speaker in the cab corners or a 6" speaker.

Be sure that your speakers all have close matching specs as far as power handling and sound output along with what head-unit or amplifier you plan to use.

Almost every speaker manufacturer publishes specs to allow this type of work (except BOSE, Buy Other Sound Equipment), it allows for a very balanced sound where everything is working together.

aGood'olBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I was going to buy a powered sub if the money allows it, so do I need an amp for the speakers?

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You don't "need" an amp for the speakers with an aftermarket deck, but it'll make them sound much better.

For what it's worth, I don't have an amp powering the speakers in any of my trucks and they sound fine. I plan on adding one to the Ram someday though.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Milblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MilBlazer
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
There are speaker adapters for 4X10 to 6X9 and vice versa

aGood'olBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hmmm why would you need an adapter? I'll be honest not really sure on those :Stupid Me:
My main question is do all oval speakers sound inferior to a round speaker?

Milblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MilBlazer
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Hmmm why would you need an adapter? I'll be honest not really sure on those :Stupid Me:
My main question is do all oval speakers sound inferior to a round speaker?

You can use the 4X10 to 6X9 adapter to to put the wider 6X9s in the stock bracket without having to pull them out, measure, grind away, test fit, grind again, etc. I've never used them but it looks like they just screw in to the stock speaker bracket. Alot easier in my opinion. Then again I dont like cutting into metal unless I can get it just right.

aGood'olBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
So all that plastic sits behind the speaker bracket but allows 6x9's to fit there? Nice!! So do oval speakers suck or just 4x10's? I read oval speakers tend to have a lot of distortion.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
So all that plastic sits behind the speaker bracket but allows 6x9's to fit there? Nice!! So do oval speakers suck or just 4x10's? I read oval speakers tend to have a lot of distortion.

I think the technical answer is yet, but I've heard some really good sounding 6x9s in my day. Unless you're some serious audiophile or planning on competing, 6x9s will do just fine. Just my 2 cents....

aGood'olBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Alright thanks for that! I'll probably put 6x9's in there when I decide to buy all the stereo components.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising