Molasses rust removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
Seems like a much easier process compared to the Electolysis method that has been posted about on here as well. I need to locate some rust stuff and give this a try I think :)

Indeeed!

I felt like I was cooking meth doing that

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
As long as you still have all your teeth and your house didn't blow up consider yourself lucky :lol:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Hahahah..

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Well I have one more update on this. I went and pulled the vise back out of it's bath again tonight. It has definitely cleaned up nicely, and I'm sure if I hit it with a toothbrush I could get the rest of the little bits off of it that you see in the picture. However, it seems no matter how long I leave it in the bath I can't get the screw adjustments to free up. So perhaps that will be the area where electrolysis will have an advantage. I took a picture of the bath after I had pulled the vise out too. Compare it with the original color of the liquid back on page 1. :signs16:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
Looking good!

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
nice improvement!!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:).

elstm3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
lynn
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30 crew cab dually
Engine Size
6.2 twin turbo diesel
hhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i think i am stopping by the feed store a few blocks over right after work today.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Great thread to wake up, another original member who disappeared into the sunset. Made some great contributions to this site. Hope he finds his way back someday....

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Just as an aside:

Whatever rust removal method you choose (CLR, Barkeepers Friend, electrolysis, phosphoric acid, etc) the process will be accelerated if the bulk of the oxidation (and grease, oil, etc) has already been taken off.

I have found a good method to break up the thick scale - so that the final conversion happens faster.

Try putting the rusty object in the oven (electric only) and using the self-clean setting.

The high temperatures reached during the self-clean cycle will knock off almost all the scale. When you pull the object out there will be just a thin layer reaming. That will convert much quicker.

elstm3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
lynn
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30 crew cab dually
Engine Size
6.2 twin turbo diesel
Interesting, i would try this but i think my wife would kill me lol

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
How in living hell did I ever miss this thread??? Sorry to say f1shman left in a pist off rage, but at least he left something good behind. I guess I won't get to thank him for a great addition. Bummer.

Just as an aside:

Whatever rust removal method you choose (CLR, Barkeepers Friend, electrolysis, phosphoric acid, etc) the process will be accelerated if the bulk of the oxidation (and grease, oil, etc) has already been taken off.

I have found a good method to break up the thick scale - so that the final conversion happens faster.

Try putting the rusty object in the oven (electric only) and using the self-clean setting.

The high temperatures reached during the self-clean cycle will knock off almost all the scale. When you pull the object out there will be just a thin layer reaming. That will convert much quicker.

I've done this before, and even on my self clean gas oven. I usually do self clean once a year, and I usually do it on a cold as hell day, since the cycle runs so long and gets so hot, that it warms the house and if I'm spending that much gas to clean the oven I want to heat the house too and get something from it, and I do put any parts that would benefit on the oven rack too. Pretty much, self clean turns junk into thin film layers and just blows off with compressed air after a self clean cycle. It can get smokey in the house though.

Electric would be better though, so potential flammable chemicals don't catch fire from the gas burner flame. I've been keeping my eye out for someone throwing away an electric oven for a couple years now. Self clean would be even better.

A buddy of mine also cooks his connecting rods before shot peening them. He says it stress relieves them. You start the temp up real high, then lower just a bit, like say 50 degrees every 15-30 minutes. Personally, I don't think a backing oven gets hot enough for the process.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So I got some cheap sunglasses with thick black frames, where's the bitch that's sweet as molasses??? Come to find out, it's a grandma. So rather that take her out on date, I just bought a bottle of Grandma's Original Molasses.

Gonna give this stuff a try on a set of 4.10 14b FF gears that I forgot my dad had from his 94 C&C 1 ton that he had a gear change done when the truck had about 600 miles on it. So they are brand new gears been laying around since Jan of 94 when he bought the truck, and he let them get wet and they have a bit of rust on them. I'll post before and after pics when I get started.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
And here's a pid of Grandma's 12oz Original Molasses at the grocery store near the pancake syrup for $2.78 a bottle. And the 4.10 r&p that has about 600 miles on them and look like hell. My dad should be shot, but being a beekeeper himself, he's like the Honey Badger and don't give a **** !!! So here I'll give this a try. No matter the outcome, I'm using the gears. They aren't pitted and being used and in gear oil, this rust will soon go away anyway, so I've got nothing to lose.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 410gearsBefore 002.jpg
    410gearsBefore 002.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 158
  • 410gearsBefore 005.jpg
    410gearsBefore 005.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 145

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
So I got some cheap sunglasses with thick black frames, where's the bitch that's sweet as molasses??? Come to find out, it's a grandma..
Hahahah, wtf is this ****? :roflbow: :roflbow: :roflbow:

And here's a pid of Grandma's 12oz Original Molasses at the grocery store near the pancake syrup for $2.78 a bottle. And the 4.10 r&p that has about 600 miles on them and look like hell. My dad should be shot, but being a beekeeper himself, he's like the Honey Badger and don't give a **** !!! So here I'll give this a try. No matter the outcome, I'm using the gears. They aren't pitted and being used and in gear oil, this rust will soon go away anyway, so I've got nothing to lose.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Awesome man, I miss these projects, can't wait to watch and learn! :waytogo:

:popcorn:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP