Molasses rust removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I wanted to try some home remedies for rust removal that were safer than digging out the old battery charger and rigging up some metalwork. I found a few household products that have been claimed remove rust. The first mixture I am trying out is molasses. Its a 1:10 ratio, 1 part molasses to 10 parts water. I'm starting with two test subjects, the first is a tiny clamp style table vise that I found buried in a drawer. It's seen better days and none of the screw adjustments are free enough to move. The second subject is my snap-on breaker bar that was left in the trunk of a car with a bad trunk seal. Let this be a lesson to you all to never loan out your tools. :shitsweak:

I used feed grade liquid molasses. Depending on your area, you might be able to pick it up at tractor supply or you might have to go to your local farm feed store.

It was about $8.00 for a gallon of molasses that when mixed with water will net you between 5 and 11 gallons of molasses mix depending on the ratio you use. Compare that to $27.00 for a gallon of phosphoric acid cleaner.

You must be registered for see images attach

So here we have the molasses mixture in our test container, and in go the parts.

I let the parts sit overnight for a period of 24 hours before going back to check on how they were doing. As you can see, the progress is pretty evident just by pulling the parts from the container. The only work that I did to clean the parts was done by wiping a shop rag over them to remove any loose debris and dry off the water.

There is clear evidence that the parts both benefited greatly from their bath in the molasses mix. The prybar came out better than I could have hoped. The finish returned to almost brand new. I can't wait to get a container that will fit the entire bar in it so that I can soak the whole thing. The vice showed improvement as well, but it wasn't to the point that I wanted it, so I placed it back in for another go around. I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to get the threads on it freed up to the point where it's functional, but it makes an interesting test subject regardless.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
wow!!! very impressive indeed!! :)

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Damn! :popcorn: We want more!! LOL! :High 5:

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
I looked like this after reading the thread title:

After seeing the pics:

I'm going to have to remember this!

Wonder how much it would take to dip a whole car into :hmm:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
uh....you better get a BIG tote for the car and just back up a tanker of molasses :laughing1:

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
Ill just throw it into a swimming pool and dump some on it :cheers:

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Not bad huh? I think the mix ratio is a little on the weak side still, I might try bumping it up for the next batch to a 1:4 ratio. That is 1 part molasses to 4 parts water. I'll probably use the current mix to go through my tool box and clean up any rust issues I have in there.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
So all this contains is molasses and water?? :eek: I had no idea molasses was that potent...

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Molasses normally isn't, but when you put rust in molasses it creates a chemical reaction that forms phosphoric acid. The acid forms around the rust, so it's right where it's needed and it does the job rather well. The plus to using a molasses mix instead of a vat of straight phosphoric acid is that it is much cheaper to use molasses, and you don't have any issues with disposal. The molasses mix is safe to pour on your lawn or send down the drain. Very safe and easy to use.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Molasses normally isn't, but when you put rust in molasses it creates a chemical reaction that forms phosphoric acid. The acid forms around the rust, so it's right where it's needed and it does the job rather well. The plus to using a molasses mix instead of a vat of straight phosphoric acid is that it is much cheaper to use molasses, and you don't have any issues with disposal. The molasses mix is safe to pour on your lawn or send down the drain. Very safe and easy to use.

Where do you buy molasses at?

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I used feed grade liquid molasses. Depending on your area, you might be able to pick it up at tractor supply or you might have to go to your local farm feed store.

It was about $8.00 for a gallon of molasses that when mixed with water will net you between 5 and 11 gallons of molasses mix depending on the ratio you use. Compare that to $27.00 for a gallon of phosphoric acid cleaner.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Seems like a much easier process compared to the Electolysis method that has been posted about on here as well. I need to locate some rust stuff and give this a try I think :)

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Truly is amazing. :popcorn: