mini square clutch issue (87 S10)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

datto62073

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
alright guys i know its not a square but its a mini me. if this isnt allowed pleas feel free to move it but i need help bad.

87 S10, 4wd, 2.8l 5spd. new clutch, t\o bearing, flywheel, pressure plate, clutch master and slave. this thing WILL NOT go into gear at all while running. we have bled it several times, yanked the trans out just to make sure everything is in place and installed correctly, tried a longer pushrod, and now im at my wits end. any suggestions???

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Does the clutch line go up and over the rear of the motor like a 4.3 truck? If so, there's still air in the line.

Dismount the slave cylinder, leaving it hooked up. Manually push in the rod several times. This should force the air up and out the reservoir.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Also, tilt the cylinder so that the line is the highest point while compressing the rod.

datto62073

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Not entirely sure but ill take a look. More bleeding here I come.......

Thanks guys!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If all else fails, open the bleeder, fill with fluid and put a coolant pressure tester firmly to the reservoir. Then pump like the dickens.

datto62073

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Ill try anything right now.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I spent hours trying to get my truck bled out. Then I did those two tricks and I was rolling.

datto62073

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Does the clutch line go up and over the rear of the motor like a 4.3 truck? If so, there's still air in the line.

Dismount the slave cylinder, leaving it hooked up. Manually push in the rod several times. This should force the air up and out the reservoir.

no it just goes up the firewall to the master which is no higher than the exhaust manifold.. slave is on the drivers side. i have pumped it a bunch so hopefully this works. its up on the lift now so hopefully i can get it working for our customer.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Oh yeah, that's right... '87 would be the T5 unlike my '91. Either way, reverse bleeding by pushing in the slave manually works wonders in most cases with most vehicles.

datto62073

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
still fighting with this. new EVERYTHING. still wont go into gear. gravity bled the system, reverse bled it, we have gone through almost a gallon of brake fluid trying to bleed. i dont think its a bleed issue. thought it was a binding pilot bushing, replaced it again. heres a list of everything thats been replaced.

clutch plate, pressure plate, and flywheel
throwout bearing
pilot bushing x2
release fork
master cylinder
slave cylinder
hardline

we have had 2 techs with 20+yrs EACH of experience come and look at this and their even scratching their heads. i am out of ideas and my boss is ready to kill someone over this pos. the only thing left that we can think of is either the wrong clutch kit, although everything matched up with the original. size, shape and height. OR the trans its self is screwed.

in all my years of dealing with cars and clutches, this is the first ive had something like this happen.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
What what the original complaint before any parts were changed?

With the truck not running and in gear, can the driveshaft be turned if someone pushes in the clutch?

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
alright guys i know its not a square but its a mini me. if this isnt allowed pleas feel free to move it but i need help bad.

87 S10, 4wd, 2.8l 5spd. new clutch, t\o bearing, flywheel, pressure plate, clutch master and slave. this thing WILL NOT go into gear at all while running. we have bled it several times, yanked the trans out just to make sure everything is in place and installed correctly, tried a longer pushrod, and now im at my wits end. any suggestions???
Are you 100% sure the parts match EXACTLY to the old stuff?

Options 1. Put all the old stuff back in, and see if you can get a pedal. (Yeah, it may slip, but does it properly disengage?). Then replace the stuff one part at a time. (Just do the plate and clutch together. Not the slave though). And yeah, those suck to yank out. Hope you did the rear main too, if it's a one piece seal....

Option 2 . Does this have the slave that goes around the input shaft? If so, bleed it again---> Yank the master keeping the line attached(to the slave also). Lift the rig up. Then have Igor pump the crap out of the master cylinder rod, with the line outlet higher than the rest of the master, and all of this lower than the slave. Hold the rod in, then open and close the slave bleeder. Do that 1000 times. You should be good.... Lol

If it has the external slave with the rod, then I would hope that you guys looked to see if it was moving.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
And those parts may be new, but they still could be bad. Especially the master. Where'd they come from?

datto62073

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
What what the original complaint before any parts were changed?

With the truck not running and in gear, can the driveshaft be turned if someone pushes in the clutch?

original was that the slave had failed, owner replaced it but it still would not go into gear when running.

not sure. ill check that when it comes back in. we have had a few things that require a lift so its outside right now.

Are you 100% sure the parts match EXACTLY to the old stuff?

Options 1. Put all the old stuff back in, and see if you can get a pedal. (Yeah, it may slip, but does it properly disengage?). Then replace the stuff one part at a time. (Just do the plate and clutch together. Not the slave though). And yeah, those suck to yank out. Hope you did the rear main too, if it's a one piece seal....

Option 2 . Does this have the slave that goes around the input shaft? If so, bleed it again---> Yank the master keeping the line attached(to the slave also). Lift the rig up. Then have Igor pump the crap out of the master cylinder rod, with the line outlet higher than the rest of the master, and all of this lower than the slave. Hold the rod in, then open and close the slave bleeder. Do that 1000 times. You should be good.... Lol

If it has the external slave with the rod, then I would hope that you guys looked to see if it was moving.

yes it matches exactly. size shape and heights. the only thing we dont have the original of is the slave.

after he replaced the slave it would not go into gear at all. hence why we got it. and he popped the slave and it dumped brake fluid into the bell which he sealed with jbweld to keep it from leaking. hence the new clutch.

no. external slave. thank god. we have been bleeding this thing like madmen. we have yanked this out so many damn times it not even funny.

and yes its moving. one of the first things we checked.

And those parts may be new, but they still could be bad. Especially the master. Where'd they come from?

yeah thats what we're afraid of. not sure, ordering parts is not my job. thats the bossman.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
original was that the slave had failed, owner replaced it but it still would not go into gear when running.

not sure. ill check that when it comes back in. we have had a few things that require a lift so its outside right now.

yes it matches exactly. size shape and heights. the only thing we dont have the original of is the slave.

after he replaced the slave it would not go into gear at all. hence why we got it. and he popped the slave and it dumped brake fluid into the bell which he sealed with jbweld to keep it from leaking. hence the new clutch.

no. external slave. thank god. we have been bleeding this thing like madmen. we have yanked this out so many damn times it not even funny.

and yes its moving. one of the first things we checked.

yeah thats what we're afraid of. not sure, ordering parts is not my job. thats the bossman.
Hey- reading it again- my comment about you guys checking the movement on the external slave.... That didnt sound right at all. Lol. I wasnt trying to be an ass....

I had a policy- if I had to fix a customer screwup or attempt, prices double. The guy (and your boss) have no room to get pissed. Maybe the motor or trans was swapped in the past? Different year? I've changed TONS of those, and they SUCK! Lol. Since you don't have the original slave, I'd be looking at other possible options on that. Some of those even have a plastic deal that rides between the rod and fork. Yeah, that's a screwed deal since the customer tossed parts at it. JB weld??? I woulda passed on that job.... Lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CTGAP