Clutch master cylinder volume

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davisw73

Reaction score
First Name
Davis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
6.5 banks turbo diesel, NV4500
So here's my dilemma. I have an 85 C20 that I am converting from TH400 to NV4500. I have stock 85 hydro master cylinder and 99 NV4500 internal slave. I have everything mounted, ready to go and it seems the square body master doesn't seem to push enough volume to completely disengage the clutch. I have it completely bled and have plenty of travel left in pedal. I can see the throw-out bearing immediately start to move as soon as I push the pedal and I can force a very small feeler gauge in between the friction disk and pressure plate, but when I turn the output shaft the clutch is still fairly engaged and drags bad enough where the only gear I can turn it in is 5th (doesn't turn motor).
Am I wrong on my theory about volume or is there something else I'm missing? Is this common and I missed it in the 30,000 threads I read about this conversion? Is there a bigger bore master that everyone uses that bolts in with minor mods? Can a 99 master be adapted to my 85 firewall without a ton of mods?
Thanks,

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
How much stroke do you have on the master cylinder rod? I'm wanting to say that max travel is just under 1", but can't remember for certain.

mrgoodwrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado
Engine Size
Hmmm i know people using the 85 era master with the late model nv4500 slave with no issues so it should not be the master to slave ratio. But i dont know what else might be wrong.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84