Mechanical clutch not engaging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WastedWages

Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hi all, finally got back from deployment.. Spent the last dew days troubleshooting a fuel issue and now finally have the truck running. PO parked the truck at my house on a very slight incline, so I wanted to put it on level ground to change fluids. I fire her up, put it in first... Go figure damned thing doesn't budge. It does barely rock a little so I know that both the trans and t-case are in gear. The brakes feel very soft but I think that May just be the vac assist that I'm not used to. If I let off the clutch entirely it doesn't bite hard enough to stall the idling engine. The truck did drive to my house from approx 10 miles away about a month ago by PO, so I have a hard time believing the clutch is burnt out completely. Is there an adjustment to this system? He did say the "pedal return spring" was weak, but the pedal returns readily to the up position and doesn't have any further movement to offer. Any thoughts on how to attack this? I'd really like to have my square on ( and off) the road soon... Thanks in advance for the help.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
Firstly; thanks for your service to our country!

Have a helper work the pedal while you watch the mechanicals. If need be, disco the mechanicals from the throw out fork and see if they work, and then try to get the fork to work by carefully prying on it w/o the mechanicals connected.

Last edited:

WastedWages

Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
From what I see it's neither hydro or cable... It's more of a set of levers from what I can tell... I wish it was hydro, then I could bleed the sucker and be done with it.

thatcanuckguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
colin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 stepside
Engine Size
there should be a threaded adjuster on the linkage, it would be almost at the fork near the bell housing. adjust it to give yourself a lower pedal

WastedWages

Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thanks!! I will give that a look tomorrow

WastedWages

Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Also I should add that the pedal does not seem to have any free play whatsoever, hopefully I can manage to adjust it, a new clutch would be a real pain given it's current location.

WastedWages

Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
We'll finally got a chance to take a look at it today...quick adjustment and she moves now...unfortunately now the hazards are stuck on and 4wd isn't engaging haha gotta love this old truck... Keepin me busy

WastedWages

Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Oh and merry Christmas everyone!

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Glad to hear it was something simple.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
We'll finally got a chance to take a look at it today...quick adjustment and she moves now...unfortunately now the hazards are stuck on and 4wd isn't engaging haha gotta love this old truck... Keepin me busy

Good job. Need any more help with the other issues? Did you adjust a little free play into the clutch linkage so it grabs fully?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76