May have found my Titan replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
True, however it does have minimal electronics outside of the engine management system. And, I believe it was pulled out fairly quickly. I don’t think it sat in the water for days.
Doesn't matter how long it was exposed, all it takes is getting wet.. Time will tell, but for your sake, I hope I'm wrong....

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Time will tel
Doesn't matter how long it was exposed, all it takes is getting wet.. Time will tell, but for your sake, I hope I'm wrong....
Time will tell I guess. My dad brought that up too, he’s concerned about stuff that maybe shorted out. Idk, we’re gonna take a crack at it. If nothing else, he daily’s a 97 Cheyenne identical to this one and can use it for parts for his truck.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I’m wanting to sell it to get out of the payment. I hardly ever drive it and I’m kinda at the point in my life where I’d rather fix and older truck than make payments on a new one. And, it’s not a Chevy, so there’s that.

I call it a W/T because that’s what I’ve always seen on the tailgate. No idea if it’s a package or not, that’s just what I call it.

The story I’m getting is it sucked water in and stalled. I have been told that they changed the fluids but couldn’t get it to fire so the guy gave up on it. Apparently he’s notorious for being cheap and didn’t want to do anything besides the basics. So I’m told it’ll turn over but not fire. I also don’t know how mechanically inclined the last guy is, so it could be something as simple as a relay that shorted out and won’t allow it to fire off.

On the exterior, the package included the decals on the doors and tailgate. Everything else depended on the model year. I believe they all included a cloth seat, delay wipers and a cigarette lighter. My son's is a '93 and included a cup holder too. But other basics like a radio and rear bumper were not included.

You must be registered for see images attach

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Can ya’ll help me put together a checklist for reviving a sunken truck? First step in my mind is pull the spark plugs and turn the engine over to get any water out. Then I guess I would move on to distributor cap, make sure everything is dry and not corroded. If it is, replace. Then, where do we go from there?

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I think this truck may be a loss. According to my dad, it was totally submerged. That’s bad news. If it runs, it’ll probably end up being a woods truck ant best. And I’m probably better off putting that time and energy into my square.

Magna86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Magna86
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Chevy 350
I wouldn't waste the time or energy on that truck. If your dad wants to let him spend the time and $$. You can find something much better than that to drive and work on minimally. My 2000 when i sold it to my Dad had 320K on it and ran like a top. I only got rid of it to get my 07 Duramax for a steal.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I’m wanting to sell it to get out of the payment. I hardly ever drive it and I’m kinda at the point in my life where I’d rather fix and older truck than make payments on a new one. And, it’s not a Chevy, so there’s that.

I call it a W/T because that’s what I’ve always seen on the tailgate. No idea if it’s a package or not, that’s just what I call it.

The story I’m getting is it sucked water in and stalled. I have been told that they changed the fluids but couldn’t get it to fire so the guy gave up on it. Apparently he’s notorious for being cheap and didn’t want to do anything besides the basics. So I’m told it’ll turn over but not fire. I also don’t know how mechanically inclined the last guy is, so it could be something as simple as a relay that shorted out and won’t allow it to fire off.
It's very common to bend all,or some if the rods if they suck water while running. Man I hate to be chicken little here,but I think I'd pull the engine and inspect it real good. I'd hate for you to make things worse trying to make it run.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Check list for reviving that truck, drain and replace ALL!!! fluids,you'll need to do the transmission multiple times. Be prepared to have to replace any or all roller bearings,maybe not today but don't be surprised when the pinion bearing etc. fail due to rust on the rollers. At the very least run compression.I'd also really recommend pulling at.least the heads and intake,make sure all the pistons park at the same depth in the hole if not you bent rods. While the distributor out dry it inside, put it back together with new plugs. At that point all you can do is drive it keep your fingers crossed,replace electrical components if and as they fail. Depending on what similiar trucks sell for of its a good deal,don't get scared off,but don't go in thinking your going to put fuel and plugs in it and it will be good as new.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
I've always called chevy trucks by decade when referring to trucks after 72. So I've always called these like this from 88 on a 90s chevy lol. Wasn't till on here I learned all the lingo. They also look kinda like a 2nd gen square body to me lol, I'm sure others would disagree.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Can ya’ll help me put together a checklist for reviving a sunken truck? First step in my mind is pull the spark plugs and turn the engine over to get any water out. Then I guess I would move on to distributor cap, make sure everything is dry and not corroded. If it is, replace. Then, where do we go from there?
On any sitting or unknown engine I always pull the plugs and get marvel oil in all cylinders and let it sit at least overnight. Sometimes I also turn engine over by hand and add more marvel oil to help ensure its on all the rings. And definitely clean cap and rotor like you said, There all corroded anyway. I'm pretty curious if it will run or not.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I think this truck may be a loss. According to my dad, it was totally submerged. That’s bad news. If it runs, it’ll probably end up being a woods truck ant best. And I’m probably better off putting that time and energy into my square.
Glad to hear this. Sounded like a pos to begin with. Gotta differentiate between an old truck, a pos and anything that would be a comfortable family/capable of being a daily driver truck.
Dump runs, Fri night cruises and woods trucks are not typically the same truck you’re taking the family hundreds of miles in.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Glad to hear this. Sounded like a pos to begin with. Gotta differentiate between an old truck, a pos and anything that would be a comfortable family/capable of being a daily driver truck.
Dump runs, Fri night cruises and woods trucks are not typically the same truck you’re taking the family hundreds of miles in.
You’re right. But I have a soft spot for old beat down trucks and atvs. I look at them and see what it was when it was new and I want to make it new again. I know it makes zero financial sense, but it’s just how I’m wired. But usually I’m overly optimistic and end up disappointed when reality sinks in that not everything is worth the time and effort to bring back to life. That’s why I posted here, I wanted some third party options that would be honest with me about whether or not it would be worth the effort.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag