Marvel Mystery Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shalpass

Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have heard it is good to run in your gas as well as in your oil? What are you thoughts on doing this andhow much would you use?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Here is what MMO is made of:

The product is composed of 74 percent mineral oil, 25 percent stoddard solvent, and 1 percent lard.[1]

Stoddard solvent is:

White spirit (UK)[note 1] or mineral spirits (US),[1][2][3] also known as mineral turpentine, turpentine substitute, petroleum spirits, solvent naphtha (petroleum), varsol, Stoddard solvent,[4][5] or, generically, "paint thinner", is a petroleum-derived clear, transparent liquid used as a common organic solvent in painting and decorating.

It has no place being added to the fuel system (IMHO).

But does help flush out sludge and built up deposits in the lube oil system. Add two pints to your crankcase a week or so before an oil change. Drive normally and let it work. Dump it out when you change the oil. Don't use it again until it's time for your next oil change. Works in a similar manner to Seafoam and is way cheaper.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've only heard of people using it as a substitue for Lead in unleaded gas way way back in the day for soft seated heads. No, I don't think I'd use it in my fuel either. It does work to quiet a noisy lifter after a few hundred miles of it being in the crankcase. It has worked once for me on a lifter I couldn't get to shut up for anything. I actually gave up on it, and then realized 1 day, it had quieted down. Seems I ran it about another 20,000 or so before I sold the motor and never had a problem after that.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I tried MMO when one of my FedEx trucks developed a problem with the engine quitting when it came to a stop instead of dropping to idle. My mechanic said it needed a new injection pump, close to $1000 parts and labor. Then I remembered an old mechanic I had worked with at an Oldsmobile dealership once telling me Marvel was good stuff so I tried it as a last resort and within an hour the driver called and said the truck was running perfect.

Similar story with a friend's VW that had been in storage for a year, it would only run by keeping the throttle almost wide open. MMO had it purring like a kitten it in twenty minutes. I always thought it was snake oil but it has saved me a lot of money over the years. Now I use it in the fuel system and crankcase of every engine I own. You could tell me it's made of water, beer, or anything else. It wouldn't matter. The stuff just flat-out works.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've heard it's good **** and had the 1 success story of my own. I like SeaFoam too, but I think I'd use the 2 products for 2 different purposes. SeaFoam I'd use when nothing is wrong with my engine but I wanted to clean up any gunk build up in my crankcase, or carbon deposits in my intake system etc. If I had a noisy lifter, noisy valve train, sticking valves or something of that nature, I'd use the Marvels MO. JMO

IIRC, if it's still on the market, I've heard the Marvels Auto Trans Treatment worked well for a couple of guys way back in the street race days when guys put used transmissions in their cars that had sat for a long period of time.

Shalpass

Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I tried MMO when one of my FedEx trucks developed a problem with the engine quitting when it came to a stop instead of dropping to idle. My mechanic said it needed a new injection pump, close to $1000 parts and labor. Then I remembered an old mechanic I had worked with at an Oldsmobile dealership once telling me Marvel was good stuff so I tried it as a last resort and within an hour the driver called and said the truck was running perfect.

Similar story with a friend's VW that had been in storage for a year, it would only run by keeping the throttle almost wide open. MMO had it purring like a kitten it in twenty minutes. I always thought it was snake oil but it has saved me a lot of money over the years. Now I use it in the fuel system and crankcase of every engine I own. You could tell me it's made of water, beer, or anything else. It wouldn't matter. The stuff just flat-out works.

I really appreciate the comments, if I were to use it in the fuel how much would be a safe amount? I work on a rig and we use it for everything

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Recommended ratio for fuel is 4 ounces to 10 gallons, but I only run it every 3 or 4 tank-fulls as a system cleaner in the cars. The FedEx trucks got it once per week since they were running all day every day.

I use it constantly and at a slightly higher ratio in my two-stroke gardening equipment since they require oil in the fuel anyways. Some of it is over twenty years old and still start in a couple of pulls.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I started running in my truck a few months after buying it because the exhaust smelled horrible. It took about a minute get it to fire up after sitting overnight, but would fire right up after being ran for a while. After a while I noticed the cold starts were much improved, throttle response was better, etc. I recently rebuilt my carburetor and was surprised how clean the inside of it was. I didn't even soak it in solvent, just sprayed cleaner through the orifices, let it dry and put it back together with the new kit. Anyhow, I would definitely recommend running it every few tank-fills or when going on a trip to blow things out. I too thought it was snake oil but don't anymore and I keep a gallon of it handy.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
One really good use for MMO is to locate exhaust leaks.

Just dump some straight down the carb/TB throat with the engine running and watch the exhaust piping. The MMO will produce massive amounts of white smoke for a minute or so. Most of it will just come out of the tail pipe, but smaller streams will be easily visible at even the tiniest leaks in the exhaust piping.

friscobob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 10
Engine Size
Only place I ever use it is an after lube in my air tools.
Bob

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've used it in my air tools too, but as a pre lube. Hasn't hurt them yet.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I've used it in both oil and gas... can't really say it made a diff in either. Better off using B12 in the gas and stp high mileage in the oil. These have given me the best off the shelf results over the years.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Shalpass

Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Sure makes the exhaust smell good...I believe it will help in clearing out some junk in fuel lines and motor...no way to tell for either really I don't guess...but this crap is used religiously on the Rig,. So I'll just keep using it at home too,. I used 4 oz in fuel and 8 oz in engine

Greybeard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
75 something (maybe ???)
Truck Model
k10 and a 1/3
Engine Size
Here is what MMO is made of:

The product is composed of 74 percent mineral oil, 25 percent stoddard solvent, and 1 percent lard.[1]

Stoddard solvent is:

White spirit (UK)[note 1] or mineral spirits (US),[1][2][3] also known as mineral turpentine, turpentine substitute, petroleum spirits, solvent naphtha (petroleum), varsol, Stoddard solvent,[4][5] or, generically, "paint thinner", is a petroleum-derived clear, transparent liquid used as a common organic solvent in painting and decorating.

It has no place being added to the fuel system (IMHO).

But does help flush out sludge and built up deposits in the lube oil system. Add two pints to your crankcase a week or so before an oil change. Drive normally and let it work. Dump it out when you change the oil. Don't use it again until it's time for your next oil change. Works in a similar manner to Seafoam and is way cheaper.

More on Stoddard solvent:

Stoddard Solvent
CAS ID #: 8052-41-3

Affected Organ Systems: Dermal (Skin), Neurological (Nervous System), Ocular (Eyes)

Cancer Classification: None

Chemical Classification: Volatile organic compounds

Summary: Stoddard solvent is a colorless, flammable liquid that smells and tastes like kerosene. It will turn into a vapor at temperatures of 150-200°C.Stoddard solvent is a petroleum mixture that is also known as dry cleaning safety solvent, petroleum solvent, and varnoline; its registered trade names are Texsolve S® and Varsol 1®. It is a chemical mixture that is similar to white spirits. Stoddard solvent is used as a paint thinner; in some types of photocopier toners, printing inks, and adhesives; as a dry cleaning solvent; and as a general cleaner and degreaser. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) the Public Health Service, or the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS).

Methinks that because it is actually a solvent that it would be fine to use for that purpose in the oil or fuel system. It has lubrication properties due to the mineral oil in it and the lard, well, who knows why the lard is in it? Makes it taste better? :shrug:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
south456