Manifolds or headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77scottsdale1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
My engine I bought Saturday has manifolds on it, should I keep them or should I get a set of headers?

The88

Mhmm
Reaction score
First Name
ThatGuy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
The real question is what are you doing with the truck and do you like changing gaskets?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
be more like what exhaust does it have now and are you willing to change it?

everyone complains about header gaskets, I've never had an issue I use stock fel pro exhaust manifold gaskets up top, they are alum. on one side and paper on the other. I never had issues and they are cheap to replace if you need to.

Down low I opt for ball end collectors or get a set of summit header buddies for flat flange style headers they use no gasket. I know some say they have issues with those, I never have. Some chop the collectors off the headers and weld pipes directly to them.

I only hate manifolds because they warp or crack, the studs break and area pain to remove or replace in the collectors. So I usually buy headers.

If you have a set that's good and has good studs down low that you can reuse, I'd use em. If not then you can pick up headers for around 120 new. black painted, which never lasts lol.

77scottsdale1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
It won't be to hard to change the gaskets I don't think, but I haven't had a chance to look at the manifolds to see if they're cracked yet. I have a set of headers in the shed just I was wondering if it would increase hp

The88

Mhmm
Reaction score
First Name
ThatGuy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Well if you got the headers I would go for it. Just as long as they fit accordingly. I fig you were asking if you should get some instead of running the manifolds.

As for more power what have you got on the in coming side? If you want more air to come out you have to have more going in as well if that makes much sense.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
Well if you got the headers I would go for it. Just as long as they fit accordingly. I fig you were asking if you should get some instead of running the manifolds.

As for more power what have you got on the in coming side? If you want more air to come out you have to have more going in as well if that makes much sense.

exactly right couldn't agree more if you got em run em. I don't think they could hurt, might raise underhood temps, but I think they flow better and I like em. If it come down to buying new headers if the manifolds are good run em, but since you have headers, I'd run headers.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
If the headers are in good shape and fit, I'd run them..

77scottsdale1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I haven't checked if they're in good shape or not, I haven't seen em in 5 years. They're just in the back of the shed and the shed is packed with other truck parts

77scottsdale1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I would also just be running a k and n filter.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Well preserved then, lol..

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
The factory squarebody manifolds aren't great for flow lol. I have a set of ramhorn manifolds I'm gonna throw on to the motor I'm putting in, one of the best flowing cast manifolds known to man haha

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
I'm looking to swap to long tube headers in the future for my k10. Cracked one of the manifolds into three separate chunks and I'm pretty sure the other one is cracked somewhere as well.

If you've got em, why not dig em out and give em a fit to see?

Headers tend to help free up a little power and torque due to the better flow rate. Faster you can get it in and out, the more power you'll be making.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64