Mangled Bolt Top Shock Mount?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

samblnc

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Tundra
Engine Size
V8
Interesting. This truck has 46k original miles so I’m not surprised.

samblnc

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Tundra
Engine Size
V8
That's a factory shock! My 66 c20 still has its factory shocks too! I'm replacing them sometime though
Interesting. Original shock does have AC Delco stamp. This truck has 46k original miles so I’m not surprised.

Copymutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
FYI just pulled my old Gabriel adjustables from the rear. Just for clean up as long as I was doing brakes.
Bushings were toast. Gabriel does not offer replacement bushings, but Summit Racing has a great selection based on dimensions.

KCKKen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
1985/1978
Truck Model
1500/C20
Engine Size
350/350
Some lower end shocks and all factory shocks come with hardware like that. As squaredeal91 mentioned put vice grips on the outer washer an loosen the nut. Some wd40 or similar will help if you spray the nut an let it soak. When they install that hardware on that they rivit or swedge the end of the stud so it won't ever come apart there. There should also be a hex you can get a wrench on between the shock an frame but sometimes there isn't.

If your new shocks come with a reusable bolt, use RED locktite on the frame to stud nut. You don't want that coming loose as it will damage the frame. Then install the shock on the stud an use BLUE locktite on that nut. The KYB GR2 comes with reusable hardware. With the reusable style the next time the shocks need replaced it will be a 10 min job.
Definitely heed the advice on the Loctite -- someone way before me who owned my 85 GMC had the shock mounts get loose and it made a mess of the holes. Now I have to take the frame to my race shop buddy for some reinforcement on those holes before I start the reassembly process.

Take Care,
Ken Snyder
in KCK

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod