Made a new tool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You could put four long bolts through the mounting holes with a nut on each side of the flange to hold them in place. Much cheaper way to stand it up.

Figure out how to put a hollow bolt in place of the air cleaner stud and you can make a lamp out of it.
neat idea lol

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I don't know if it is a tool, but started building a table for my 3in1 Shear, Press Break, and Roller.
You need to build me a trans building table since you can do all that !!! Puleeze !!!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have a holley with pretty bad corrosion(galvanic, aluminum parts, i think) and the carb is a double pumper, older one, and looks nice on the top/outside, but the baseplate wouldnt be a flatmachined surface and the butterflys are pretty bad(I dont think thats realistic to repair?) so the idea of a carb stand is pretty cool.. and I could display it maybe.. polish up the pretty parts?
You must be registered for see images attach

If its not realistically repairable or of any definite use value then I think it would look pretty nice cleaned up at least and a conversation piece?
yes, a homemade carb stand is so easy to make with 4 long bolts and nuts. You can even make it fancy with brass bolts if you so wish. Even put a base out of wood, plexi or metal and stain, paint, etch whatever you wanted to do. Super Simple. Even AuroraGirl could do it.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
yes, a homemade carb stand is so easy to make with 4 long bolts and nuts. You can even make it fancy with brass bolts if you so wish. Even put a base out of wood, plexi or metal and stain, paint, etch whatever you wanted to do. Super Simple. Even AuroraGirl could do it.
I like the wood Idea. I have a lot of scraps that are just cut offs of nice planed boards, non treated stuff, of just nice quality pine and no real use for somee of it. Just get the old drill bits on the drill press and mark some holes. may be best to set a rivnut or something into a hole with a small bevel cut for the top of the outer shell that holds onto the outer part of the opening. Wouldnt need to be perfect just so it lays flat, I could prob wood puddy if I over shot to make it flat. THen of course, have studs Im sure I could find decorative stand off studs in the right size with smooth shiny(Brass maybe :D ) and then set on the nuts or whatever retainign the height

this crustation with a complete lack of effort put into that half of an otherwise thoguht out and well done project.
I mean, clean up the outside and make it shiny

To be clear, its not really good for much else right?

I did take the one side cover off to see what the innerds looked like, you can se it setting behind the carb on first photo but its a double pumper with the Old school setup(its code is medium duty governed V8 from the late 60s or 70s, idk what that means for it tho)

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
I like the wood Idea. I have a lot of scraps that are just cut offs of nice planed boards, non treated stuff, of just nice quality pine and no real use for somee of it. Just get the old drill bits on the drill press and mark some holes. may be best to set a rivnut or something into a hole with a small bevel cut for the top of the outer shell that holds onto the outer part of the opening. Wouldnt need to be perfect just so it lays flat, I could prob wood puddy if I over shot to make it flat. THen of course, have studs Im sure I could find decorative stand off studs in the right size with smooth shiny(Brass maybe :D ) and then set on the nuts or whatever retainign the height

this crustation with a complete lack of effort put into that half of an otherwise thoguht out and well done project.
I mean, clean up the outside and make it shiny

To be clear, its not really good for much else right?

I did take the one side cover off to see what the innerds looked like, you can se it setting behind the carb on first photo but its a double pumper with the Old school setup(its code is medium duty governed V8 from the late 60s or 70s, idk what that means for it tho)
I'd soak it in some Carb Chem Dip for about a week, and see if it would clean up to rebuild. Red pad and polish the base back out. Does it hold any sentinel value? Did your Grandpa use it on anything? if so it would be worth the rebuild. I have a Edelbrock carb my dad bought me when I was 16, it has been on three different Squarebodies I have owned over the years, been rebuilt twice. I will never get rid of it.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
You need to build me a trans building table since you can do all that !!! Puleeze !!!
UUUUMMMM, your a little far away...I have have some great news thou....I just saved a boat load of money on my car insurance by switching too Geico...:happy175::happy175::happy175: Can you tell I've been drinking?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I'd soak it in some Carb Chem Dip for about a week, and see if it would clean up to rebuild. Red pad and polish the base back out. Does it hold any sentinel value? Did your Grandpa use it on anything? if so it would be worth the rebuild. I have a Edelbrock carb my dad bought me when I was 16, it has been on three different Squarebodies I have owned over the years, been rebuilt twice. I will never get rid of it.
no I believe the carb to be off a old county or work truck(He drove CDL or just heavy light duty vehicles for a long time and often got his things he dissected by getting deals like, the boss is getting rid of the old hunker with a 427 and he personally would prob take the truck, strip the cab for good parts(as it would be a C40 C50 C60 most likely something I think) with a lot of usables, then anything scrap thrown into the side of the cliff... because...Idfk.. then any thing he was going to use or liked hung up, or used, etc. So the carb was in a box of randoms for the 78 which he was going to build a 305 or 350(the ones he had that could do that) and iM guessing the sporty/xtreme vision he had would see a holley on top since he had it. Im thinking that was the reason since the parts from a medium duty are not many but they are around, but he was friends with a lot of people who had that stuff so he would easily be just trading that as he went. NGL, its not often you would have saw a factory GM with a holley instead of a qjet,im guessing, and he prob liked the idea. Based on how the Original QJEt in his truck found its way on the top shelf of a unused shelf, right on top(yes on top) of a bird nest, I would say he didnt really care to try using that Lol.

So its not really sentimental as it is historical, my edelbrock 1406 was produced in like 2018 or so, Its not special to me, but if I had a 1406 that I found and rebuilt and it was the old bread winner for the small blocks in the family that would be cool. But I dont lol, the original Qjets were used as much as the poorly maintained 2jet that was put on the replacement engine. im fairly convinced he rebuilt a motor and just used the cars original 2jet which was... not the best(I mean it was like a 20 year old 2 barrel from a large car, that prob sat lol)

Fun fact, that iron pipe plug was the first thing my breaker bar was insufficient to turn without the bar giving out first(that I would wrench on) and they arent expensive but they arent dumb bars either....(2 of same size). I used my milwaukee impact on the 3 setting and full charge and socket deep well and it had to hammer a few seconds before coming out. The one for the coolant that is. The wheel lug nuts on the truck took less than that when I ran them off for first time in 15 years lol. I used a full battery pack(mid size, not the extended m18 but the "full" to do 3 wheels short by like one or two lug nuts. The threads got HOT too lol. So that thing was destined to stay. Which I determined upon removal it would stay.. in use for a while longer before I put brass ones in. Still have the john deere brass ones that will go right in, too. Just havent pulled the hose since i did it lol. I used a aluminum i assume fitting i found in the shed and not the iron... dont even want to entertain that reaction on the intake

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
no I believe the carb to be off a old county or work truck(He drove CDL or just heavy light duty vehicles for a long time and often got his things he dissected by getting deals like, the boss is getting rid of the old hunker with a 427 and he personally would prob take the truck, strip the cab for good parts(as it would be a C40 C50 C60 most likely something I think) with a lot of usables, then anything scrap thrown into the side of the cliff... because...Idfk.. then any thing he was going to use or liked hung up, or used, etc. So the carb was in a box of randoms for the 78 which he was going to build a 305 or 350(the ones he had that could do that) and iM guessing the sporty/xtreme vision he had would see a holley on top since he had it. Im thinking that was the reason since the parts from a medium duty are not many but they are around, but he was friends with a lot of people who had that stuff so he would easily be just trading that as he went. NGL, its not often you would have saw a factory GM with a holley instead of a qjet,im guessing, and he prob liked the idea. Based on how the Original QJEt in his truck found its way on the top shelf of a unused shelf, right on top(yes on top) of a bird nest, I would say he didnt really care to try using that Lol.

So its not really sentimental as it is historical, my edelbrock 1406 was produced in like 2018 or so, Its not special to me, but if I had a 1406 that I found and rebuilt and it was the old bread winner for the small blocks in the family that would be cool. But I dont lol, the original Qjets were used as much as the poorly maintained 2jet that was put on the replacement engine. im fairly convinced he rebuilt a motor and just used the cars original 2jet which was... not the best(I mean it was like a 20 year old 2 barrel from a large car, that prob sat lol)

Fun fact, that iron pipe plug was the first thing my breaker bar was insufficient to turn without the bar giving out first(that I would wrench on) and they arent expensive but they arent dumb bars either....(2 of same size). I used my milwaukee impact on the 3 setting and full charge and socket deep well and it had to hammer a few seconds before coming out. The one for the coolant that is. The wheel lug nuts on the truck took less than that when I ran them off for first time in 15 years lol. I used a full battery pack(mid size, not the extended m18 but the "full" to do 3 wheels short by like one or two lug nuts. The threads got HOT too lol. So that thing was destined to stay. Which I determined upon removal it would stay.. in use for a while longer before I put brass ones in. Still have the john deere brass ones that will go right in, too. Just havent pulled the hose since i did it lol. I used a aluminum i assume fitting i found in the shed and not the iron... dont even want to entertain that reaction on the intake
There's nothing wrong with that 2bbl Carb. Very reliable. I know a guy we called 2 barrel Bill. He took a carb like that and hogged it out and did alot of work to it. Rubbed a lot of grease on it and the rebuilt engine he put it on to make it look like an old POS and he was getting races putting all the boys with big cams and 4 bbl carbs to shame. Talk about a sleeper. He know what he was doing back in those days. He too had a lot of head work done, dialed in his cam to where you didn't hear it much at idle, but when it turned on and he got in that power band, he was gone and ate your lunch.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
There's nothing wrong with that 2bbl Carb. Very reliable. I know a guy we called 2 barrel Bill. He took a carb like that and hogged it out and did alot of work to it. Rubbed a lot of grease on it and the rebuilt engine he put it on to make it look like an old POS and he was getting races putting all the boys with big cams and 4 bbl carbs to shame. Talk about a sleeper. He know what he was doing back in those days. He too had a lot of head work done, dialed in his cam to where you didn't hear it much at idle, but when it turned on and he got in that power band, he was gone and ate your lunch.
Oh I know it can be rebuilt and it would be fine im sure, but I only ever rebuilt one of these:

and it was so bad... it was bad..look at the grime. Im not even sure the the inside would have all reusable hard parts. It rannnn soooo rich, fuel line junk backed up there, had a fire on the engine bay(looks clean considering), plus a simple edelbrock 4 barrel and intake(I didnt realize I had cast iron spreadbore intakes, the one had a plate overi t that made it seem 2 and the other wasnt known to me lol. plus if I did run a 2jet I would use one of the many on the shelf , i think one has a electric choke but It may just have every pull off known to man and then be large vs the others ones smaller venturi

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Well finished building the cart, and got the tools I'm going to have on the back side of the cart....Cart still has to be stripped down and painted....

Attachments

• 20211009_155454.jpg
    20211009_155454.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 20211009_155504.jpg
    20211009_155504.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 70
  • 20211009_161816.jpg
    20211009_161816.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 20211009_161732.jpg
    20211009_161732.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 75

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Have a little update on the cutting torch cart. Had some Rally wheels sitting around doing nothing. So I sand blasted them, and my oven was just big enough to hold a wheel...going to order some Hi Gloss clear powder. Going to clean up the beauty rings, and probably sand blast the center caps, and powder chrome them.

Attachments

• 20220608_093611.jpg
    20220608_093611.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 20220608_093602.jpg
    20220608_093602.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 20220608_101022.jpg
    20220608_101022.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 20220608_104420.jpg
    20220608_104420.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 35

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Got the center caps done and the beauty rings cleaned up...Just waiting on spiked wheel lugs, and center cap emblems...

Attachments

• 20220609_151619.jpg
    20220609_151619.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 20220609_153307.jpg
    20220609_153307.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 20220609_161724.jpg
    20220609_161724.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 20220609_162226.jpg
    20220609_162226.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 36

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Still waiting on me center pieces for the center cap, but finally found a pair of used tires, had them mounted, and got some Allen head bolts to mount the center caps....I really like the way it turned out....much better than the aluminum saw blades...

Attachments

• 20220616_144944.jpg
    20220616_144944.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 20220616_144938.jpg
    20220616_144938.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 20220616_145858.jpg
    20220616_145858.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 20220616_145854.jpg
    20220616_145854.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 35

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Made a oil pump priming tool for a Chevy. I just bought one, and it seems kinda cheap to me. I have a distributor I wasn't ever going to use. So I got busy on making one

Attachments

• 20221213_145318.jpg
    20221213_145318.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 28

Juggernaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I love to build my own tools. Built several over the years. I wanted a nice BIG bench vice that I could really hammer on, and I didn't want to spend $1000+ dollars, so I built my own. Expensive part was the 1" threaded rod and coupling nut. Got scrap metal for it from stuff I had lying around and from a welding shop. It's a little slow to operate with standard course threaded rod, so I left a nut on the end so I could zip it in and out with my impact. I use a 1 1/2" wrench when I really want to clamp down

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128