Made a new tool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

semperfiguy98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K20
Engine Size
Working on a friend's carburetor, I decided I needed a carb stand. Got some scrap from the fabrication bay at work and made one. I could have just ordered one for less than 40 bucks, but it's fun to make things.
You must be registered for see images attach

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
I made one many years ago by using 4 1/4-20 x 2" bolts, running a nut down part way, putting it thru the carb mounting holes and hand tightening another nut on top.

When you have no money you just make do.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
I'm getting ready to plumb the brake lines for the Mistress. I am going to build my brake lines out of NiCo line. Bad thing is it comes in 25' coils. So I have to straighten the line. After looking how much line straighteners are over a 100 bucks for a decent one, not the high-end, but not the cheapo one. Got looking on Youtube, seen a guy make his for about 20 bucks, with scrap he had laying around. I did not have the scrap he did, so I had to buy all of my parts to build it. After buying all the parts mine will cost me 33.08. I will post pics when I build it. I do plan on welding a flange on it, so I can mount it in a vice. The video is were I got the idea.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I'm getting ready to plumb the brake lines for the Mistress. I am going to build my brake lines out of NiCo line. Bad thing is it comes in 25' coils. So I have to straighten the line. After looking how much line straighteners are over a 100 bucks for a decent one, not the high-end, but not the cheapo one. Got looking on Youtube, seen a guy make his for about 20 bucks, with scrap he had laying around. I did not have the scrap he did, so I had to buy all of my parts to build it. After buying all the parts mine will cost me 33.08. I will post pics when I build it. I do plan on welding a flange on it, so I can mount it in a vice. The video is were I got the idea.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

have you ever seen the website inlinetube.com ? They offer complete, drop in ready to run brake line kits for our trucks. I see you're doing it in nico so I assume that's the reason why you're doing from scratch? The only reason I ask is I was going to reline my entire truck this winter like you, and my best friend bought one of their kits for his '84 K20 and installed it.. I was actually quite impressed with the fit and quality so I am going the same route as him for mine. It turned out to be pretty much spot on to all the factory tubing and bends, etc. they offer factory steel tubing and stainless. although stainless can be a pain to seal up sometimes i'm considering that route for mine for the $185 the complete setup will cost. their kits for OE steel lines are about $150 as well.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
have you ever seen the website inlinetube.com ? They offer complete, drop in ready to run brake line kits for our trucks. I see you're doing it in nico so I assume that's the reason why you're doing from scratch? The only reason I ask is I was going to reline my entire truck this winter like you, and my best friend bought one of their kits for his '84 K20 and installed it.. I was actually quite impressed with the fit and quality so I am going the same route as him for mine. It turned out to be pretty much spot on to all the factory tubing and bends, etc. they offer factory steel tubing and stainless. although stainless can be a pain to seal up sometimes i'm considering that route for mine for the $185 the complete setup will cost. their kits for OE steel lines are about $150 as well.

Yes that is who I'm bought my line from. Yes they have a high quality product. I don't want steal..(it rusts) I thought about Stainless steal lines, But the fittings will rust. I have done some modification to my frame, and suspension. I would highly recommended Inlinetube to anyone, super nice staff, and told me where to buy the flaring tool cheaper than what they have it for. Gave me a 5% discount code, that I could use.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
They sell stainless fittings too. Their website makes it real challenging to find though.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
After rolling it out on the ground, you can clamp one end in a vice and the other end in a pair of vice grips. Then bend the vice grip end at a right angle, the hit the vice grip with a mini sledge. Makes it as straight as an arrow.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
They sell stainless fittings too. Their website makes it real challenging to find though.

The kit I bought has the NiCo line and stainless ends. I got my kit off eBay store, it was cheaper, and free shipping. I was told that buy the guy at Inlinetube. He saved me 7.00 bucks on the kit, and 8.50 on shipping.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
After rolling it out on the ground, you can clamp one end in a vice and the other end in a pair of vice grips. Then bend the vice grip end at a right angle, the hit the vice grip with a mini sledge. Makes it as straight as an arrow.

You lost me. Do you do this on the ground? You smash the ends? need a better explanation.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
You lost me. Do you do this on the ground? You smash the ends? need a better explanation.
Not on the ground. My vise is mounted on my bench, so at that level. The pictures here are on the ground, but just for picture taking purposes.

Pinch a couple inches of one end in the vice until flat. Fold about a half inch over on itself. Then clamp with a vise-grip as tight as you can possibly get them.

Take the other end and pinch 2-3” in the vice jaws tight enough that it’s impossible to pull out. It helps if the tubing is perpendicular to the jaws to prevent slipping out.

Holding the vise-grip end in one hand with tubing parallel to the ground but vise-grips perpendicular to the tube, smack the back of the vise-grips just above your hands with a sledge a few times hard. It’ll finish straightening out the pipe perfectly.

I sent these pics to a buddy to explain it. It’s better to have a helper. No matter the method of straightening the tube, if you pick it up by yourself and it’s a longer piece—it’s so soft it’ll droop slightly. That shouldn’t be an issue though, because the longest straight line between radii isn’t typically long enough to notice. But, if your careful, you can pick up longer pieces without them drooping under their own weight.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Working on a friend's carburetor, I decided I needed a carb stand. Got some scrap from the fabrication bay at work and made one. I could have just ordered one for less than 40 bucks, but it's fun to make things.
$40 + tx + shipping blah blah blah. I always like FREE better. Usually when I can make something like that, I'll cut enough stock to make 3, 4 or 5 of them. Then I keep the one that turned out best for myself, and then I got FREE gifts to give my buddies.

BTW, don't forget about me BUDDY !!!

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Well here it is... I welded a flange on it, so it could be held in a vice. My tubing hasn't arrived yet so I couldn't try it out. Let me know what y'all think.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size