Lunchbox Locker for Chevy Open Diff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black Betty

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 4x4
Engine Size
305ci
I have a 1979 chevy 1/2 ton truck and i want to put some kind of locker in the back... i want something that will engage/disengage by itself... any suggestions?

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I had a Lock Right locker in my '78 1/2 ton. It was cheap to buy, but loud when driving around in town. I also had an aluminum topper on it that seemed to amplify the noise from the differential. It did work great for about a year and a half then it broke when I was crossing part of the road that washed out.
They aren't as strong as other types of lockers on the market. They aren't typically recommended for tires larger than 33". That being said someone will say they have run them with 44" Bogger Swampers and have had no issues.
It can make driving in winter interesting also. With both tires locked up the rear end will like to fishtail around. Very fun if you are out playing and want to do power slides around all corners. But oncoming traffic doesn't like to see that when you are climbing up a steep hill around a corner and the rear end steps out.

Black Betty

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 4x4
Engine Size
305ci
is it engaged all the time? i want something that only engages when you get on the gas

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AzLuke