Low throttle bog

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
89suburban, could you explain the EGR? I went ahead and rebuilt the carb I have since kits aren't so expensive. It ran way better at first and the choke is doing what it should but it's fell back into it's old habits. I'm wondering about EGR now. It makes sense. EGR tends to be used on light throttle which means off idle to about 50% throttle. It's like when you hit 50% there's a turbo that kicks in and it takes off.

You can test the egr the same way you tested the vac advance. You should check the thermal vac switch that operates it as well. Should be closed when the truck is cold. You can also pull the vac line from the egr, and plug it with a golf tee or a pencil, then go drive it, and see what happens...if it still bogs, hook it back up.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yah just plug the vac line to it and see if it runs better. I can't stand EGR valves or trying to get them working right without the off idle bogging ****. I just plug mine in when I take it in for inspection for now on. :shitsweak:

Some day I'm gonna make a road trip up to New Hampshire and let chengny have a go at it. :D

Posted From Hell

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Yah just plug the vac line to it and see if it runs better. I can't stand EGR valves or trying to get them working right without the off idle bogging ****. I just plug mine in when I take it in for inspection for now on. :shitsweak:

Some day I'm gonna make a road trip up to New Hampshire and let chengny have a go at it. :D

Posted From Hell

Is silvy giving you problems?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Is silvy giving you problems?

No she's doing great. I can still sense the valve kicking open and bogging the motor just a tad. Just annoying to me and I feel it wastes fuel.

Posted From Hell

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
so the problem only happens when its cold? and you work a mile from home. how long are you letting the truck run before you take off? could be as simple as you're not letting the truck warm up enough, so the choke isn't completely opening.

recian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 cheyenne
Engine Size
I've eliminated the EGR from the equation but still no go. Rebuilding the carb has seemed to make a difference. Since then the truck runs great when I'm easy. If I floor it to get into traffic or pass it falls flat on it's face and dies out now. A new problem to chase yay! e.e I've got a quadrajet to put on it too but I wana get it right and make sure there's nothing else bad before putting it on.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I've eliminated the EGR from the equation but still no go. Rebuilding the carb has seemed to make a difference. Since then the truck runs great when I'm easy. If I floor it to get into traffic or pass it falls flat on it's face and dies out now. A new problem to chase yay! e.e I've got a quadrajet to put on it too but I wana get it right and make sure there's nothing else bad before putting it on.

Check the float level...very critical.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Misty Blue