Loose valves

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77chevy400

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
6.6l (400)
It all started today when i was just tired of a sluggish 4 barrel(only 2 barrel operate??) I had a 400 2barrel in a 79 camero. It was a absolute blast to drive.

I checked timing it was way off. Too retarded, so i advanced it a little. Now its better on gas and definatly roasts the tires.

However upon doing routine mantanance including plugs and wires i replaced my valve cover gaskets. Out of the 8 pushrods, springs and lifters (counting from headlights towards back of motor)

#1,3,4 which i believe the first valve is intake and then exhaust i noticed 2 intake valves were a tad loose . i could wiggle the rocker a little. Only 1 exhaust valve was like that. The exact same issue on the other cylinder head except it was valve #2,3,7/8

Are some valves suppose to have a little play? Or all or none? Ive always heard the intake valves are suppose to be adjusted just tight enough there is no play.

If they need adjustment i suppose i just take a wrench and snug the bolt down a little?

Sent from my Reddot R50 using Tapatalk

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
What you have to do is start at top dead center, then there will be certain cylinders that you can adjust while at top dead center and you have to rotate it 180 I think and do the other cylinders.

How you adjust them is loosen the nut up until you can wiggle the rocker arm a good amount and then start tightening the nut while twisting the pushrod back and forth till you get to the point where you almost can't twist the pushrod anymore and after you do that you have to tighten the nut down another 3/4 of a turn, depending on your motor and what you feel comfortable with big block is usually a full turn and a small block you could get away with a 1/2 a turn but I just go 3/4.

Then rotate the motor and do the next set of valves i can't remember which valves you can do in the different positions but someone here might know or you can probably find out easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweeter68