Looking of a hood to fit a 1973 chevy k10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jalopy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
383 stroker
I need a hood if any one has one around manteca california, my hood is a taco and I need a new one. Right now I have 100 dollars but I can make some more.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I need a hood if any one has one around manteca california, my hood is a taco and I need a new one. Right now I have 100 dollars but I can make some more.
wrong section for wanted, but generally speaking if you dont have but 100 dollars of spending money are you sure a hood is a priority? It is still there, right?

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
The original ‘73-77 hood is a slightly different design/shape on the front edge than the ‘78-‘80, but later hoods will fit. In ‘81 they made major changes and the front clip and hood is different.

There are several sources for aftermarket hoods, but AFAIK they will all have the later shape. I have one on my ‘75 and it fits fine, but if you knew squarebodies really well you would know it’s not completely correct.

When you replace it, make sure you install the reinforcing braces on the sides where the hinge brackets mount, and that you keep the hinges lubricated. There is a notch in the hood bracing to allow it to fold in a crash, but it will also bend/fold if there is too much strain when closing the hood. Push back toward the windshield at the same time you push down on the hood to close it.

Memaloose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Too bad you're not in the Kingman, AZ area, you could get 2 good hoods for $100 at the local wrecking yard, hinges probably too.
I agree with the hinge lube idea, I lube mine twice a year, it doesn't take much.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
heres an example of a 77 hood on a 1980
You must be registered for see images attach

The original ‘73-77 hood is a slightly different design/shape on the front edge than the ‘78-‘80, but later hoods will fit. In ‘81 they made major changes and the front clip and hood is different.

There are several sources for aftermarket hoods, but AFAIK they will all have the later shape. I have one on my ‘75 and it fits fine, but if you knew squarebodies really well you would know it’s not completely correct.

When you replace it, make sure you install the reinforcing braces on the sides where the hinge brackets mount, and that you keep the hinges lubricated. There is a notch in the hood bracing to allow it to fold in a crash, but it will also bend/fold if there is too much strain when closing the hood. Push back toward the windshield at the same time you push down on the hood to close it.
for funsies

shawnvgg

Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
I have one for sale, I’m in Hayward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xXmutantXx