Looking at a 1984 and have questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IdahoJOAT

Reaction score
First Name
Rodger
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I want to pick everyone's brain.

So, got a chance to look at what I'm calling Lil Red last night. I want to buy it. My wife not so much. Especially if I get it for $2500 or less.

He needed to pour fuel directly into the carb, but once it was running, it ran just fine. I didn't feel anything weird in the trans, put it in 4LO and it still went just fine. Didn't screw with the locking hubs.

The front inner fender is rusting out, apart from that everything is surface.

Some leaks, namely I noticed from the engine oil dipstick tube, which I imagine is an easy kill with a new grommet/o-ring.

Only has a heater, but the fan does kick on.

Current tires are old but lots of life on them.

Headlights/turn signals need new bulbs or work.

Rear lights work great even though the housings are bolted straight to the bumper.

The stereo that was in it had power at least, but I didn't try turning it on.

Seat has two massive rips and it looks like dried oil or paint. It's worthy of a refresh, maybe I'll replace with a 40/20/40 or 60/40.

He's asking $2900 obo.

Now for the questions for the group:

What axles and gear ratios can I expect in this thing?

The 250(definitely a 250)/3 spd auto, anyone have an idea about mpg?

Anyone made a wood bed for a short box?

How bad is a front passenger side fender?

Where do YOU all find parts at, besides craigslist/FB finds? I know about LMC, but where else is consistent?

Attachments

• 00P0P_jnOZ6FDMTlNz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg
    00P0P_jnOZ6FDMTlNz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
Run away, run fast!
$2,500-$2,900 for a pos that needs everything?
you would have to put in another 10K minimum to make it a nice rig.
Unless it’s a challenge you’re looking for, combined with a lot of headaches… Find a cleaner, more sorted and complete truck. I found a complete and rust free ‘84 for 3K. If you take your time and look, they’re out there. You may have to look in other states (like l did)
But it’s worth the search.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Now for the questions for the group:

What axles and gear ratios can I expect in this thing?

The 250(definitely a 250)/3 spd auto, anyone have an idea about mpg?

Anyone made a wood bed for a short box?

How bad is a front passenger side fender?

FireTruck is more than likely correct - but - to answer your specific technical questions:

Axles: Corporate 10 bolt rear, with 3.42 standard or an optional 3.73 ratio

MPG: I would expect low 20's/high teens highway

Wood bed: yep - they are all over the place. Probably some running around in your town as we speak. Or - find a different box and set it on

Fender replace: neither the fender outer nor the wheel liner is a difficult replacement. Fender outer is three big bolts at the rear with 7 or so small bolts at the front. Inner is about a dozen small bolts around the wheel opening and one big bolt into the front of dash.

K

Last edited:

84c10Tony

Howdy!
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Reminds me of a $500-$600 offer parts truck. Offer that, leave your number and keep searching, many more out there, go slow.
My 84' was whole, dad and I got it new, still years later, another 14k etc., Ted is right, but don't run, just smile and walk away with your wife, keep her happy, she knows something is up with her intuition, they have that you know.

She would rather see you happy, and probably read your face and body language when looking at it.

Now, thank her, give her a massage, make her some dinner for her helping you (better than buying), and ask her to check for a whole truck and ask her opinion, and about her vibe on it.
You see, these ladies have a system, a wife internet if you will, and can find good stuff for your hobby.

Next thing you know, for some odd reason, you will be a happier guy, and don't know why. Enjoy.

JT58

Reaction score
First Name
JT
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Well the price goes up rapidly for a good one and you will most always find something wrong. I paid way, way too much for my 87 and already invested more than 15K. And if I include my own labor, it's way more than that. No matter what you get it's gonna cost- just depends how far you wanna go and how nice you want it at the end.

If I had to do it over I'd probably been better off to spend 50K and be done with it. But getting the truck I really want, color and options I want and the satisfaction of doing the work myself and doing it right has merit too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8