Look what I am in the process of buying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Not my first vehicle, but my first TRUCK, was a 62 C10 Longbed, then I got the 64 GMC C2500. I should have never sold that bitch. If that truck could talk... OMG the stories it could tell. And I had about every powertrain option you could think of in it too and it all bolted in. From V6, to I6 to SBC and BBC, from SM420 to Muncie M21 adn M22, to Th350 and Th400. It was my ***** gitter and my street/strip daily driver for years. Sadly, I don't have many pics of it, and it's looking pretty rough here.

Attachments

• 64GMC2500.jpg
    64GMC2500.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 106

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Dang it I didn't get notified of those responses. I prefer the 64-66 trucks too. I got my '65 in '87 and daily drove it until 2005. Solid trucks. I have bad news, and news that literally has me pissed off. Last Friday the guy sent me a text that his job called him out of town to work in Redding and he wouldn't be back until Wednesday of this week. That worked out well because I had just found out my grandma was in the hospital and I was able to travel to see her instead trying to reschedule with him. So I canceled the hotel and the uhaul, visited grandma, she fractured the backside of her hip, they braced it with pins and put a back brace on her, and now she is doing physical therapy so she can return home. Could have been much worse, and luckily she is a fighter. So Tuesday rolls around and I hadn't heard from the guy, so I send a text letting him know I'm still interested, and got no response. Wednesday after work, touched base again to see what was going on. Got a vague "I should be back Friday". Yesterday afternoon we had a little back and forth to schedule meeting up. He was okay with his son doing the transaction, and I let him know the physical owner needs to be the one to sign over the title. He said his son has the same name. He then asked when I was coming up to get it. I said I was waiting to hear from him when he was going to be back in town so I can plan stuff accordingly on my end. He got pissed off saying he was trying to work, yet he was contacting me too. Anyhow, I cooled off, and after work I let him know I too was at work, and am trying to work with his schedule and I have the cash ready. He then backed out of the transaction, saying "You'll find another one, thanks". I was so angry I wanted to drive up there and bitch slap the guy. I have a feeling he sold it last week because he pulled the ad mid-week last week. He told me he was going to pull the ad about 4 days before because he wanted me to have the truck, but didn't pull it like he said he would. So when it was pulled, and he said he was going out of town, to me he was lying and just stringing me along. He had a few offers closer to him and ready to pick it up, so I am certain he got rid of it and didn't have the balls to tell me. There are some other trucks out there but few that are stock and rust-free like that one was. Or they want way more than what they're worth. I checked on NADA and they're worth about $2,200. I did tell him off after he did that just to make myself feel better about it, but ultimately he had the power and used it to his advantage. The son of a bitch!:lazer:

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
So, in the event I find another one, I will let you all know and share the progress with it.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Typical Craigslist douche. Hopefully karma catches up to him.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Typical Craigslist douche. Hopefully karma catches up to him.

I was on a computer Saturday morning and decided to look to see if he posted it again. It's back up on craigslist. I wonder how many people he has screwed over. He has placed the ad three times that I have observed, and pulled it two times that I have observed. He claims to be an Old School guy. Old School dealings don't back out when the interested buyer is asking to know when the seller is going to be back in town to better coordinate.

On the bright side, there is one a lot nicer down here, that appears to be a 2 owner truck. If I were to get it, that would make my fleet: (2) 2-owner vehicles and (2) 3-owner vehicles. It has an aftermarket AC unit that needs work, and it has an OD unit with a 3 on the Tree. No pictures of the OD so I don't know what kind it is. The truck looks nice, just some paint chipped off and some rust, but not bad at all. I need to contact the guy and see if he will let it go without the wheels and tires because I a set for it, actually 2 sets. He wants $4,500 for it. I will offer $3,000 and see where we meet. http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/cto/4996044320.html

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I was on a computer Saturday morning and decided to look to see if he posted it again. It's back up on craigslist. I wonder how many people he has screwed over. He has placed the ad three times that I have observed, and pulled it two times that I have observed. He claims to be an Old School guy. Old School dealings don't back out when the interested buyer is asking to know when the seller is going to be back in town to better coordinate.

On the bright side, there is one a lot nicer down here, that appears to be a 2 owner truck. If I were to get it, that would make my fleet: (2) 2-owner vehicles and (2) 3-owner vehicles. It has an aftermarket AC unit that needs work, and it has an OD unit with a 3 on the Tree. No pictures of the OD so I don't know what kind it is. The truck looks nice, just some paint chipped off and some rust, but not bad at all. I need to contact the guy and see if he will let it go without the wheels and tires because I a set for it, actually 2 sets. He wants $4,500 for it. I will offer $3,000 and see where we meet. http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/cto/4996044320.html

Well, good luck with this one.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
We shall see. Going to check it out after work, unless the guy decides not to tonight. I like this truck. Was looking forward to the one with the inline 6 just because I haven't ever owned a truck with one, but I am perfectly okay with a 283. They get decent mileage and have good enough power with the rear axle ratios they have in these old trucks. I remember driving from my home town to Newhall and then to ITT Tech in Van Nuys and running out of gas on my way back to Newhall from ITT. That was about 4 hours of driving, and 3.25 of it was at 4,000 rpms just to try and keep up with traffic. I swapped in a 350 I had in hopes of getting better mileage, but it ran out before getting to Newhall. So yeah, the 283 definitely gets better mpg. I didn't understand it that well back in my early 20's, but I do now, less cubic inches means less fuel burned. I just always had fuel in each tank so when one ran out I could just switch over. Gas gauge didn't work so needed that extra tank.

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That really sucks. I have had a couple of bad experiences on Craigslist but for the most part I have been really lucky and people have done what they said they would do. Hope you find another one.

I love the 60's trucks also. Just like the way the cabs look. I wanted to buy this one and put a 396 I have in it but I have more to do than I can afford already.

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/4966226324.html

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
That really sucks. I have had a couple of bad experiences on Craigslist but for the most part I have been really lucky and people have done what they said they would do. Hope you find another one.

I love the 60's trucks also. Just like the way the cabs look. I wanted to buy this one and put a 396 I have in it but I have more to do than I can afford already.

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/4966226324.html

That's a nice one, too bad it doesn't have an engine or trans.

I'm with you on having too much to do, but I miss having a 60's series truck to drive, and the one I have, the frame is not worth saving. Already spent $600 to have it worked on but didn't notice the worse damage until I pulled the front clip off to swap the front disc brake conversion I bought for it. So it has sat, mainly because of the huge increase in homeless foot traffic in my neighborhood. There is a network of them and they will steal stereos and such, and have already stole my engine hoist and floor jack. I have too many high end parts I bought that would easily grow legs and walk off if they were to see them being installed. My property is open to the public and I have no garage. But a running vehicle, yes it can be stolen, they have left mine alone. But I also don't have anything flashy to attract their attention, just stock vehicles tightly parked together so they are not easily removed. I have accidentally left them unlocked on numerous occasions and nothing was taken from them. Got lucky for sure. I am just happy the bus stop accross the street is gone. There was always some kind of riff-raff sitting at that bus stop bench.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I'll try not to be jealous but just envious. At least it's going to be at a good home. So yeah, I'll be watching this project. What I'd always dreamed of having, was a 64-66 GMC 3/4 ton non side window Suburban/CarryAll with the windowed rear barn doors and the Dana 60 rear axle on leaf springs instead of the Coil Spring rear suspension that most of t he Chevy's were. That would be The **** for me.

I wanted a 65 suburban back in 94, but they wouldn't sell it. It just sat there. It had the inline 6, 4x4, barn doors, bad ass rig even with the windows on the side. Not sure if it's still there, good chance it is. I'll see if I get an interview up there in the next month or so.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
@kleedus You sure have a lot of extra 60's series trucks. That's good for when you need parts. A guy here is trying to sell me his '72. It's a nice truck with a 0.40 over 350, and a rebuilt th400 or th350, I think it's a th350 but it's 3/4 ton truck so possibly a th400. Anyhow, it was his dad's, and he daily drives now for about three years. I just don't have the extra parts for it like I do for a 64-66 truck.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Just got back from looking at the truck. It is solid. He tried to tell me some of the stuff was stock, but I knew better. Like the AC, not stock, but maybe an old aftermarket installation because it's been in there a long time. It's missing the rear overload springs but I have those. It starts right up, idles smooth. Has an electronic overdrive that is bolted to the rear of the transmission and that looks stock. Stock mirrors, lots of stock items, a 90% unmolested truck from the looks of it. He said he would hold it for me until I can get the rest of the cash. Hopefully by Thursday I'll have it. There are a couple things I will consider taking off or making better, that is if he keeps his word. I hope he does.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Everything happens for a reason. The first asshat did you a favor. I think this other one with the 283 and the OD unit is a better looking, better condition truck too. Hopefully that deal works out. That'll be the **** having 4.56 gears in the old drop out rear axle, but an OD unit to compensate and can still drive it on the freeway. And 3 on the tree too. Hell yeah. And those 283's are pretty good on mpg for what they are. I actually got better mpg in a 67 with a 283 than I did with a I6 230 that I had in it, not to mention more power and it sounded much better too. It would be cool to have the I6, but really, a good old 283 with that little 2bbl and power pack heads is all as reliable as the I6.

The 283 also loves loves loves rpm. They are small journal small blocks and come with forged cranks, so they'll spin the rpm up pretty quick and cranks are strong enough to take the abuse. When it comes to build it, you can bore it out, .030 .040. .060 and even safely up to .090. The earlier 283's like in the early 60's you could even get them safely to bore .120 (1/8 inch). I know of at least 2 283's that were even bored .125 which took it out the same bore as a 327/350. The guys used OEM flat top 327 pistons from a small journal 327 that they bored .060 and repurposed the OEM 327 pistons in a 283 for a cheap rebuild job that was all as good as a brand new motor. Here's the catch 22 though, the early 283 blocks that would take the bore out to the same as 327, to fit a 327 crank in it and make it a 327, you'd have to grind out part of the block for the bigger 327 crank throws. The 283's that would only go .060 or .090 would take the 327 crank without a problem. So if anyone has ever wondered what made the Chevy 302cu in, it's a 283 crank in a 327 block. These guys that did bore a 283 out to 4.0, that's exactly what they had then was a 302. A little RV cam, nice intake 4bbl carb, a little port work on the Power Pack heads or a set of double hump heads, and headers, you'd have an ass raping little motor that turned a ton of rpms and begged for more. And how did the 307 come about? It's a stroked 283 with a 327 crank. Of course by the time the 307 came out in GM standard production, it was a large journal motor, but guys were already making 307s before GM did by putting 327 small journal cranks in 283's. The GM 307 was getting smog riddled and compression cut down so it was a gutless wonder, but the homemade 307s from small journal motors were quite peppy and torquey for what they were.

However, I went down a rat hole with that conversation as usual, but point is, for this truck, I'd keep that hard to kill 283 in it just as it is stock with the Power Pack heads, the 3 speed and the OD. That's a great set up for an old truck.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I wouldn't consider that a rat hole, that was some good info for us that already have a 283, or may be getting a 283. I agree, the 283 is a good engine, and those trucks with their low gears can still tow some heavy stuff. You're just not getting anywhere in a hurry. I also agree that the guy in Elk Grove did me a favor.

Last night I didn't want to leave the guy's house, I wanted to sleep in the truck...lol... I don't like how they cut up the dash to mount speakers, but if I really want to patch it back, I have either a factory AC cab, or the standard cab to get the metal from. I plan to run it as is and see how it drives. I don't see it needing anything because he has it in top shape for an old truck that's not restored. Yes it has rust spots, and a little cancer, but all in all it would be difficult to find one in better condition that is not a project truck or restored. I really don't want to do anything to the engine, but if I do I'll get some 305 vortec heads and an intake and either do a 2 barrel or 4 barrel rochester. I have a couple extra carb's laying around that can be rebuilt that fit the bill.

The guy has done a lot of work to the truck: He had all new wood installed in the bed a few years back, it's weathered looking but it gives the truck a good look with the paint the way it is; he installed an edelbrok intake and carb recently; new fuel pump; new wires, plugs etc.; rebuilt the rearend; added some LED auxillary brake/signal lights for when it's foggy; and some auxillary blinkers for the front and back sides which gives it a little more safety and visibility at night; new shocks; re-did the driveshafts (2-piece); and had to replace the passenger exhaust manifold. That manifold has an odd shape to mount the AC compressor to, never seen anything like it, so will need to find another one or two for backups, and maybe another with the same size outlet for the drivers side, because the one he found was for a corvette and the outlet flange is bigger diameter. And he has all new brakes to go with it.

He mentioned when he went to transfer the title from the previous owner, the DMV had never seen an original like that from the 60's. I asked if he kept it and he didn't. That would have been cool to see.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That 2nd truck just seems to be one that could go either way. Either leave it alone for the most part and fix just what's needed and let it tell it's own story of it's own history leaving the battle wounds and such. Of course killing the rust cancer one way or another either to keep it from spreading or fixing it. All those trucks had the rust in the front fenders behind the front tire.

I've never heard of them trucks coming OEM with overdrive units. I have a feeling that might be aftermarket. Maybe even a Gear Vendor unit. :shrug: That OD unit alone is probaby in the $3000 range if bought new. I just love the idea of keeping that 283 3 speed column shift with 4.56's in that truck leaving it just the way it was back in the 60's, but yet having the OD unit bringing into modern day driveability at 65-70mph. Hopefully you end up with it. I'm sure you'll enjoy the hell out of it, and I'll sure enjoy watching what you do with it.

You found the "Other Vehicles" section. So when you get it, I'll be looking forward to your thread about it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ls85c10man