Light Bar Wiring Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vandyke_Country

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So I got my new 50" light bar all mounted and wired up and it works! Which is great, but I seem to run into a little issue that concerns me.

My wiring from the relay forward (meaning, to the light bar, battery, and ground) gets pretty hot. From the relay to my switch, that's fine.

I understand that this light bar pulls a lot of juice, but I feel as if my wires shouldn't get that hot. You can still touch and hold the wires for about 10 seconds, but I don't feel safe with it that hot.

Has anyone had this issue? Being that I bought this light bar and wiring harness as a kit on Ebay, I get that its probably some cheap foreign knockoff and isn't made great.

All the wiring is 14 gauge. I have a 30AMP inline fuse from the battery and I know my ground is good. Possibility that it could the relay? Not heavy enough wire?

Also, should I be looking at a bigger alternator? maybe another battery?
This light bar will most likely be on when truck is at idle. If someone has some ideas that would be great.

Thanks!

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
What is the amp draw rating of the light bar?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 101

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
If you have the proper size wire and seem to be pulling too much amperage be sure all your connections and grounds are good. A poor connection creates resistance that could increase the amp draw. Also be sure the wire is a true guage. Somtimes cheap wire is not acually the advertised guage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP