lifting the front of my truck to level it out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Handy Andy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
sierra 1500
Engine Size
Ok, If I had to guesstimate I'd say my 86 sierra 1/2 ton has about a 2-3" rake to it. I'm dropping a 400 sbc in it shortly and would also like to get it leveled out. I've been looking online and have seen the zero rate add a leafs, the helper springs and also the plain jane Rancho 2.5" lift front leaf springs. I'm gonna guess that the 2.5" leaf springs and new shocks will probably be my best bet right? I don't think the helper springs give more than about 1.5" of lift. I don't want to lower the rear because I would like the truck to sit a little higher, but I also don't want to sacrifice the ride by going to a crazy lift. I just want it leveled out. What is my best bet?

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I'd go with new front springs, but I'd get Tuff Country EZ ride springs instead- unless you want a stiff ride.
To figure out the amount of rake find somewhere flat to park and measure to the rocker panels instead of the wheel well openings (wheel well openings are cut different front vs rear).
Tuff country makes a 2" lift and a 3" lift.
Another thing to consider- do you have a heavy front bumper or a winch? That can weigh down the front of the truck a bit with EZ ride springs.

Handy Andy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
sierra 1500
Engine Size
Hey, thanks for the suggestion. The truck just has a normal front bumper. The only thing that has been done to it is the PO swapped the 305 out for a 350. I will be dropping a 400 small block in it in about a month and a half or so. I have replaced the shocks on it, but that is it. I'll have to take a measurement on it sometime to figure out exactly how much rake it has.

Handy Andy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
sierra 1500
Engine Size
I should also add that my 6 year old son told me he wished we still had the old blue k20.... It had 6" of lift and 37" tires on it. Soooo I may just have to hold off on leveling this truck and maybe look into a 4" lift kit. We'll see I guess. Any suggestions on which 4" kit provides the smoothest ride? I don't want it to ride like a lumber wagon.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
I should also add that my 6 year old son told me he wished we still had the old blue k20.... It had 6" of lift and 37" tires on it. Soooo I may just have to hold off on leveling this truck and maybe look into a 4" lift kit. We'll see I guess. Any suggestions on which 4" kit provides the smoothest ride? I don't want it to ride like a lumber wagon.

I've got the 4in ez ride springs up front with a shackle flip in the rear on my truck. Ride was so much more like a cadillac than the stock springs were! I did my research and that out of all the readily available kits, the ez rides had the lowest spring rate allowing for the much softer ride even when lifted.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1