license plate light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick.koehler6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 5.7L
How would I go about wiring a license plate light?

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Do you mean where to wire it in or how to actually wire it in?

Nick.koehler6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 5.7L
How, what wire would I splice into? Could I run my own wire possibly?

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
You can run your own wire but you have to wire it in the correct spot for it to come on with your light switch. Or you can splice into the tail lights and sauder them together, you just have to make sure you don't splice the power wire to the blinker wire otherwise it will flash.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
In the rear lighting harness there is a brown wire that goes all over the place. It feeds the side markers, the parking lights and the license plate lamps:

You must be registered for see images attach

You can splice into it anywhere - if you need to. But look around under there first. It is for certain that your truck originally had plate lighting and I'll bet it's still there. It may have been cut back at some point, but you should be able to find the stub.

Here is what the rear harness looks like - when it's layed out on the floor. This one is set up for dual plate lamps but yours should be similar:

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
In the rear lighting harness there is a brown wire that goes all over the place. It feeds the side markers, the parking lights and the license plate lamps:

You can splice into it anywhere - if you need to. But look around under there first. It is for certain that your truck originally had plate lighting and I'll bet it's still there. It may have been cut back at some point, but you should be able to find the stub.

Here is what the rear harness looks like - when it's layed out on the floor. This one is set up for dual plate lamps but yours should be similar:

Chengny, I hate to bother you, but can you tell me what the black rubber thing, circled in the left picture, is? It comes apart, and looks to just be a connection. I've got power into it, but not out. Can it be omitted or replaced by a bullet conector?

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Chengy...can you post a pic of the rear tight light harness that decodes the different wire colors...I had had an issue with my drivers side brake light not working all of the time. I have been troubleshooting it for some time now. My turn signals work all the time...its just the drivers side brake light doesn't always get power.

Everything else electrical works as it should as far as the turn signal lights, running lights, hazzards and licensce plate light.

Thanks!!

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Chengny, I hate to bother you, but can you tell me what the black rubber thing, circled in the left picture, is? It comes apart, and looks to just be a connection. I've got power into it, but not out. Can it be omitted or replaced by a bullet conector?

On my '86, that's the wire that goes to the license plate light.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody