License plate light bulb/assembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Subourbon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 suburban
Engine Size
6.2 V8
Hey everyone,
Hope youre all doing well.
So, license plate bulbs.
I had a look at this and saw that:
1. It wasn't connected
2. The bulb is probably original to the vehicle (1982) and there out.
3. Don't have much history about the vehicle so I dunno if it was submerged at all.

I traced back to a harness that splits in 2, to each tail light. Off that line is a single connector, female connector, (I'll post a pic, but I'm struggling to find the technical or common name for it, pigs tail? I don't know).

Anyhow, I tried with my multimeter and after a bit of poking around got a blip of 4 or 5 volts by grounding it to the frame. When I do reconnect it, maybe a squirt of dielectric grease will help.

The assembly is just the bracket held in place with 2 bolts, and the light bulb cover held in ace by 2 Philips screws, standard assembly. The bracket is rusted almost all the way through, and the Philips screws have yet to be removed because they are really corroded in place, and of course the male connector that connects into the previously mentioned female connector.

My question or rather, quest for opinions and suggestions is, should I just order a new bracket online, because I'm in Canada, we have napa and that about it as far as walk in walk out stores, unless another Canadian user knows of a place!

And more importantly, what are those connectors called? I'm having a hell of a time online looking to see what resembles it.
And lastly, was I testing that wire right? Turn it on 20 VDC and grounding on the frame? I hate electrical.
This isnt a big rush as I don't have any intention of driving this at night anytime soon.

Anyways here are the 2 pics, one underneath obviously and the bracket, those holes aren't meant to be that big, the rust is real!

thanks for reading and any advice you might have,
Stay safe!
You must be registered for see images attach

Subourbon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 suburban
Engine Size
6.2 V8
Oops, didn't realize I posted that pic twice, sorry folks

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I think the term is bullet connector. These are basic auto parts store versions.

Subourbon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 suburban
Engine Size
6.2 V8
That looks like them, granted mine are showing their age but thank you! Appreciate it because all the aftermarket stuff is 2 wires and like I said, I don't feel like rewiring, I'd like to put back in there what I took out!
Cheers!

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
You'll have to bite either bullet, either doing an aftermarket setup or finding an original. Or you can order the whole assembly new, I got a new led assembly from lmc and it had a single wire just like factory, and it grounds and mounts to the top of the bumper above the license plate.

Subourbon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 suburban
Engine Size
6.2 V8
Lmc is definitely a vault when it comes to original stuff, that and rock auto obviously.
I dont care about keeping it original. I'll sniff around to see if something matches the bolt pattern, and electrical set up as is.
Thanks for the tips guys!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbarham78