Level

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Fastenall sells 5/8 stainless u bolts. But after looing closer they are too wide. I dont see the axle tubes being 6 and a half inches wide. I buy stainless whenever i replace stuff. Sometimes its overkill but its a peace of mind thing. Price made me choke on them too when i just looked too. 55 a peice. Ords 45 dollar u bolt kit will be perfect haha

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
So i measured the top of the arch to the center of the wheel front and back. Front is 23 and the rear is about 24 and a half. My son held the tape at the wheel in the back so i know that the rear measurement is off some. But those zero rates seem like they will work perfectly. So on my Christmas list goes zero rates new stainless u bolts and shocks all the way around.

You must be registered for see images attach
One inch difference imo is perfect. If you toss some weight in the truck you will be level. I would be more concerned with fixing the rust.
Cute kid btw... and I'm glad to see him flashing the victory/peace sign rather than Satan's horns.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
That rust is character hahah. It looks worse than it is. Thats another debate i have. I really like the way the paint has aged. And the blue bomb used to feed cattle. The po had the springs in the rear redone. The thing dosent even level out really even with almost a cord of wood in it. It used to have side boards in on it and get loaded with corn every day.... edit. Went and counted the rear springs. Theres 9 in the spring pack. But the bottom one looks super thick. How hard is it to take one spring out. Ill take pictures in a littlw while when we come back from cutting our Christmas tree down

Last edited:

CoMtGuy

Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500
Engine Size
350 M Code
As an engineer I was always taught u-bolts should be Grade 5 or 8, and to never re-use them or the nuts (always replace because the threads get stretched when torqued). Stainless steel is not as strong as high tensile steel used in u-bolts. Not saying they won't work, but I would not trust them with my life or that of my family. So, just for me, they provide no peace of mind. Just one point of view.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
U-Bolts are strictly a 1 shot deal...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members