Let's talk vehicle security...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tj43

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Vehicle thefts are on the rise in my area. Unfortunately, these old GM ignitions aren't known for being very thief-resistant. Has anyone installed a discrete ignition or fuel pump cut-off switch? If so, what is the least-intrusive method for tapping those circuits, but still allow for easy switch access when entering/exiting the vehicle?

Any better options?

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Nobody wants to reveal there "secret switch" locations! Thats like asking to publish the combination to the safe on the WORLD WIDE WEB!!

tj43

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Nobody wants to reveal there "secret switch" locations! Thats like asking to publish the combination to the safe on the WORLD WIDE WEB!!
Fair point. =)

If anyone wants to send me a private message, I promise I am not a car thief (I know… that is exactly what a car thief would say).

Maybe we can speak in general terms about whicb wires are effective and what type of switches seem to work best for this application?

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Fair point. =)

If anyone wants to send me a private message, I promise I am not a car thief (I know… that is exactly what a car thief would say).

Maybe we can speak in general terms about whicb wires are effective and what type of switches seem to work best for this application?
For a FI engine, I’d think intercepting the fuel pump power would be the way to go. That way the would be thief cranks and cranks, but the engine won’t run. They’ll assume it’s a pile of junk that won’t start.

In all honesty though, the pros are hooking up and towing your truck away. There’s no stopping that short of a defensive parking spot.

67ventwindow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
I have some of my projects hot wired so I can drive them. 10ft of wire and alligator clips. FI has many points where to disable them. if your running a carb and mechanical pump. Progression Ignition distributors you can turn off your ignition with your phone. Remote coil? If all else fails drive a beater with a stick.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I kind of tend to agree with that, but since I don't have a hidden switch myself, I'll just list off a few locations I've done for other people. The glove box X2 if the box has a factory lock. under the dash out of site but generally reachable in the seat. Under the hood. No kidding, one guy had me hid a switch under the hood.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Put a manual trans in it.
Put carburetor on it lol, maybe a not as good a deterrent as manual, but I can't tell you the number of times I've seen younger guys crank and crank a carbed vehicle not thinking to pump it. We had a tech here at the shop for a while that was a decent tech but couldn't cold start a carbed rig to save his life it seemed.

IDK We have much more crime in the city here than ever before. We are at the point at the shop that we CANNOT ever leave a vehicle outside overnight or the next day the gas tank will be drilled and the cat cut off, or the entire vehicle missing, but it's still fairly safe during the day. You guys that have to worry about loosing your truck in broad daylight I really feel for you. I would not want to live in that situation at all.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I have 1.5 hidden switches - 1 is a kill tied to an existing switch so it's in plain site but you wouldn't expect it, the other is an inline glass fuse on my fuel pump relay that I remove. Even if the thief is sharp enough to find it he isn't likely to have the right type of fuse to put in.

I have thought about researching a real time tracking device to hide on it.

StickyLifter

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Screw You Homophobes
Truck Year
N/A
Truck Model
N/A
Engine Size
N/A
The previous owner of my Nova installed a toggle switch to disable the starter. I just happened to find it when I was working on it. I should use it because I have a habit of leaving my keys in my cars, but I don't. I guess it's insured...

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Put one of these is the defroster duct so it’s visible thru the windshield. It will make a thief question if he really wants the truck.

Wire the positive side of the led to the orange wire feeding the done lamp. Connect the negative wire to a wire that shows power with the ignition on. The light will automatically start to blink with the ignition off.

If your truck has the headlight dimmer on the turn signal lever, install another headlight dimmer switch on the floorboard. Wire it to interrupt either the starter or ignition power. The dimmer switch on the floor will be hidden in plain sight. Most younger people have never seen a floor mounted dimmer switch, and even if they did most would never consider it a security item.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
When my clutch linkage from the pedal wore out on my Powerstroke for the second time (cheap pot metal with a plastic bushing), I made a new linkage with Hiem joints on it. Unfortunately the safety switch would not fit the new linkage.

I planned to modify it, but just put a bolt in tne switch that I could push in and activate the switch to start the truck and left it hanging under the dash until I got around to modifying it.

Fast forward a few years, switch is still hanging under the dash, my truck is in Denver at my sons house while we are remodeling it and someone breaks the ignition lock overnight and tries to steal the old Ford. My laziness paid off, they couldn't get it started and left it, unfortunately I have to replace tbe ignition lock, but the thief didn't get the truck.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Had an older Nissan Maxima stolen during the day at work. They used it for a drug run to another state. Reason I know that there was a video where the car was dropped off. About a week later the same person, same coat, was involved in a high-speed pursuit. There was a large quantity of drugs in that vehicle. Got my car back undamaged with about 40 miles on it.

Installed a hidden switch between the ignition and starter the following weekend.

Later model vehicles might be a little harder to modify because of access and data lines. Be VERY careful how you do it. Could cause very expensive damage if done incorrectly.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If your truck has the headlight dimmer on the turn signal lever, install another headlight dimmer switch on the floorboard. Wire it to interrupt either the starter or ignition power. The dimmer switch on the floor will be hidden in plain sight. Most younger people have never seen a floor mounted dimmer switch, and even if they did most would never consider it a security item.
I think that's still my plan, unless I come up with something better. With the new carpet now, I wasn't even going to cut the carpet for it. just keep it tucked up in the corner out of sight. I left long enough pigtails on my new fuel pump relay/timer to run them into the cab.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey