Let's talk vehicle security...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Some non-conventional ideas that might be developed into an anti-theft device:
- Back in the day (whenever) military jeeps and some other commercial trucks had an emergency brake that clamped a set.of brake shoes around the driveshaft to hold the vehicle. It was a simple lever operated engagements that took very little to engage.
- I’ve also seen an emergency brake system that used a round metal plate (like a brake rotor ) with holes in it that was attached to the transmission output next to the u joint. When you applied the emergency brake it pushed a pin into the “rotor” and stopped the driveshaft from turning.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
honestly, after having a vehicle attempted to be stolen......I wish it would just shock the living p|ss out of them.....but I think that would be illegal.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Put one of these is the defroster duct so it’s visible thru the windshield. It will make a thief question if he really wants the truck.

Wire the positive side of the led to the orange wire feeding the done lamp. Connect the negative wire to a wire that shows power with the ignition on. The light will automatically start to blink with the ignition off.

If your truck has the headlight dimmer on the turn signal lever, install another headlight dimmer switch on the floorboard. Wire it to interrupt either the starter or ignition power. The dimmer switch on the floor will be hidden in plain sight. Most younger people have never seen a floor mounted dimmer switch, and even if they did most would never consider it a security item.
That's a fantastic idea, I might have to steal that one. That'd be easy enough to tuck up high just barely covered by the carpet

Kurnacopia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
I've seen guys install a switch to cut the fuel pump and or ignition and then route it to just underneath the shifter boot. you have to feel through the rubber to find it but you can access it and flip it on and off easily.

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
Anybody tried something like this? It's a parking brake valve, typically used for Kit cars. Hold the brakes, turn the handle, and it keeps pressure applied. Do this for at least the front brakes would either require some "creative" plumbing or some kind of remote handle, but it would provide protection from drive off and haul off situations, albeit not complete protection. At least if they hook up to it and start pulling, the tire screeching will notify you of an issue and keep it from going too far before it catches too much attention.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Anybody tried something like this? It's a parking brake valve, typically used for Kit cars. Hold the brakes, turn the handle, and it keeps pressure applied. Do this for at least the front brakes would either require some "creative" plumbing or some kind of remote handle, but it would provide protection from drive off and haul off situations, albeit not complete protection. At least if they hook up to it and start pulling, the tire screeching will notify you of an issue and keep it from going too far before it catches too much attention.

I'd think long term application of pressure to the brake components (especially on old vehicles, if not all new brake components) would not be a good thing for the caliper or wheel cylinder seals.
Aside from having to either run brake lines into the cab or be a 2 person operation.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

I'd think long term application of pressure to the brake components (especially on old vehicles, if not all new brake components) would not be a good thing for the caliper or wheel cylinder seals.
Aside from having to either run brake lines into the cab or be a 2 person operation.
Many years ago when I had a 65 C20 it had one of those valves. It was a single cylinder master, so the one valve held all 4 brakes. Issues,
#1. Had to route the brake line into the cab to the valve and then back out.
#2. It would leak down over time sometimes. Even the teeny tiniest seep at a wheel cylinder that normally wouldn't even leak with normal braking would leak the pressure off overnight.

It was really great for I need to park on a steep hill for a few minutes, or long enough to hold the truck to put a block under the wheels. I didn't use it for this, but my friend would drive it now and then and he'd use it like a hill holder releasing the clutch. It had it's uses and was handy but I'd never take the time to install another one. JMO of course.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
honestly, after having a vehicle attempted to be stolen......I wish it would just shock the living p|ss out of them.....but I think that would be illegal.
I actually asked the police about that and was told, it's only a problem IF you hurt them AND they complain. As long as they are not noticeably harmed have all the fun you want. I was going to have some fun with the professional campers in my neighborhood that siphon our gas and take anything that is not chained down. I figured since they are nocturnal and have gobs of spare time on their hands, messing with them would just make me a target.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I actually asked the police about that and was told, it's only a problem IF you hurt them AND they complain. As long as they are not noticeably harmed have all the fun you want. I was going to have some fun with the professional campers in my neighborhood that siphon our gas and take anything that is not chained down. I figured since they are nocturnal and have gobs of spare time on their hands, messing with them would just make me a target.
Well most electric fence controllers will pump about 10,000 volts into you. It hurts like hell to get zapped with one but the amperage is to low to do any damage, except possibly for someone with heart issues. So I don't see why a guy couldn't isolate the door handle and hook up fence controller to it, except that it needs to be plugged into 110 voltage.

BurbanPena

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
You can hide a battery cut off under one of the fenders

You can Intercept the the ground wire going to the fuel pump on a switch hidden where you want it to be hidden and the switch would cut ground to the fuel pump and you won’t have to worry about a + wire running through your switch.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Of course that means you have one of them fancy new electric fuel pumps!

Grumpy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Back in the day, I was based in Edmonton, Alberta.
Because I only needed minimal accommodations (I was normally on the road, and the family was in another province,) I ended up renting a room in a boarding house in one of the less desirable neighborhoods. One evening, there was a knock on my door (strange because you needed to get through two other security doors) and I was face to face with the city cops.

They explained that pretty much every vehicle on both sides of the street had all their windows smashed and I was to follow them to confirm which vehicle was mine.

Only two vehicles were untouched, my old pickup with all the rust and what remained of an old regimental sticker in the rear window (was there when purchased,) and another old pickup next to mine with a small red and white sticker in its rear window...... that read "Support your local Red and White."

The cops laughed when I confirmed my vehicle.

Sometimes effective security is a simple deterrent.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Put a manual trans in it.
I've seen plenty of of manual transmission Ford Super duty trucks stolen by human traffickers around the southern border area. Crew cabs are especially desirable to them due to the amount of people they can cram with the back seat removed.

If someone is inclined enough to bypass an alarm and ignition security system, they're inclined enough to shift a few gears.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I think you missed the point.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I think you missed the point.
Nah, I get your point. I've chuckled at the classic "millenials are too stupid to drive a manual" joke plenty of times. I'm just telling people not to assume their vehicle is going to get ignored by thieves just for having a third pedal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara