leaks!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ezrael

Reaction score
First Name
Israel
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Came home to this new puddle of power steering fluid. Why cant i come home to something like i dont know a new paint job or one of my buddies telling ive installed an efi system and a turbo because you are great, why does it always have to be negative... arg... spider man gets bit and gets super powers ... idk just rambling now...
You must be registered for see images attach

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Came home to this new puddle of power steering fluid. Why cant i come home to something like i dont know a new paint job or one of my buddies telling ive installed an efi system and a turbo because you are great, why does it always have to be negative... arg... spider man gets bit and gets super powers ... idk just rambling now...
You must be registered for see images attach
If your complaining ill take your truck..... js lol

Dmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The joy of owning an older vehicle. At least most repairs are doable by anyone with average mechanical abilities. Imagine what a ps leak on a new car would cost to have fixed.

Hatchet54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Red
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra Grande
Engine Size
**** breaking is part of the charm of these old vehicles, as long as it's simple stuff and not total overhaul, lol. I've been a shadtree mechanic pretty much my whole life and I have a major love-hate relationship with the idea. When it's something simple and obvious, there's nothing more fun to me than fixing my own rig. But the second the problem gets even slightly out of my comfort zone, I hate the idea of working on machines more than death.

But in the end at least our rides are actually meant to be worked on. I had a friend with a newer Expedition a few years back that roached a fuel pump, it ended up costing her 2 or 3 hundred dollars to fix and it was in the shop for 2 days. My Sierra had an identical problem last week, and it was $18 and an hour of my time. :D

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
**** breaking is part of the charm of these old vehicles, as long as it's simple stuff and not total overhaul, lol.

But in the end at least our rides are actually meant to be worked on.

Trust me, it was part of the "charm" when they were new too. But as you said, at least you could fix them yourself.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Technically, you can still fix them yourself. At least mechanically. Software updates are another issue, but for the most part, if you're willing to spend the time to educate yourself about the vehicle, you can still do the wrenching yourself. It may require investing more into the tools in your collection, and obtaining a copy of the factory service manual, but that has always gone hand in hand with whatever I brought home anyway. Typically the biggest challenge anymore is understanding the order that the manufacturer put it together in, since the packaging in the newer vehicles is so tight.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I will say after owning a newer vehicle it’s not the hardest thing in the world to figure out but god damn if they don’t have quirks and special ways things need to be replaced or repaired and what not. I’ve done every mechanical maintenance piece on my 06 Colorado in 250,000 miles, from wheel bearings to a fuel pump and everything in between.

I definitely despise working on it but it’s doable. And I’ve had to take it in only a couple times when I couldn’t do it myself. But then again it is only an 06, these newer ones are ridiculous

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Also I’m not that smart so I believe it’s doable for most lolol

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Don’t even get me started on the price of parts either. 300 dollar fuel pump, 350 dollar wheel bearings, 300 dollar alternator. Just unreal, thank god I can work on my own crap otherwise I’d be screwed by now

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Just like people. When you get to that certain age, you can't hold your water.

On the bright side, 'If it leaks, it ain't empty'.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
My daily driver is an Audi, you can't change even the battery on your own because it won't do anything as long as the computer in the shop tells the computer in the car that a new battery is in. It takes 1.5 hours on a rate of 100$ per hour, battery not included....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20