Leaking rear seal on 350 transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David House

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
How difficult is it to replace the output seal and stop the damn leak? The engine is out and I'd swear this transmission has leaked an amazing amount of ATF. What all is involved in splitting the Trans off the transfer case, this is obviously new ground for me.

Also is it politically correct to still call it tranny fluid? Asking for a friend.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
yeah, I think Tranny Fluid is now Hormone shots. So maybe Trans Fluid or Transmission Fluid is more politically correct.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
WOW!!!! Politically correct, HERE?..... On THIS forum????

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
OP:

It goes in like a grease seal on a brake rotor.
Pull it out with a flathead and whack it in with a hammer. Not hard.

P.S. it was NEVER correct to use the words tranny fluid. @David House

Transmission fluid.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
How difficult is it to replace the output seal and stop the damn leak? The engine is out and I'd swear this transmission has leaked an amazing amount of ATF. What all is involved in splitting the Trans off the transfer case, this is obviously new ground for me.

Also is it politically correct to still call it tranny fluid? Asking for a friend.

I'm confused by what you are asking.. you have a 4x4 right? Is it leaking from the transmission into the transfer case? Leaking from the output of the transfer case? Splitting the transmission from the transfer is as easy as removing the 4 bolts that hold them together and pulling them apart.

fast68chevy

I am the original fast68chevy
Reaction score
First Name
RANDY
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
jusst a matter of pulling 6 or 8 bolts, depending on the model of t/c and which side of the adapter... and pulling off the drivelines. i would hi-temp RTV the flat side and replace the output seal on the other end. you have a 78? probly is a 203 full time with a TH350(13 bolt pan and with a kickdown cable) since youre saying it is ATF.. most commonly in the 70s K10 trucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eri24